lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default This time my cart might be done.

Well, here I mentioned that I stripped out part of the clutch bolt, and couldn't get enough threads to grab to push the clutch back on:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...removal-5.html

I took off the spacers, and started putting on some washers, and apparently I got enough threads to grab .... because the bolt snapped off in the shaft. The good news is that the cart drives great with my new tires. I didn't bother to pull the clutch to see how bad it is, but I'm sure it's gotta be flush with the shaft. The belts do a decent job of keeping the clutch from flying off, but I doubt that'll work forever when a belt finally decides to jump off the pulley. I'm sure it wouldn't be really pretty if the clutch flew off the shaft.

This post makes it sound easy to remove, but I doubt it.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...lt-update.html
scubajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: This time my cart might be done.

Sometimes they are easy, sometimes they are not. You are doing really well, you have overcome the stuck on clutch, rebuilt it and re-installed it. Now you just need to get A bolt in there far enough to hold on the clutch. It doesn't even have to be the same size bolt. It can be smaller and probably even the next size up.
If the bolt is sticking out I will grind it flat, cut a screw driver slot and try that. If that doesn't work, I punch the center and start drilling. If it broke inside it makes it tougher. You'll need a dremel to grind a flat spot on the bolt within the shaft, then start drilling. Drill it to the largest size you can and still get an easy out in there. The larger size wont break off as easily. Carefully try to remove it using the easy out. DONT BREAK THE EASY OUT or DRILL BITS. They are a nightmare. Use as much lube as you want...
If the bolt comes out you will need to clean up the threads with a tap and get a new bolt. If it doesn't come out, we'll need to drill and re-tap the threads with a larger bolt size or install a heli-coil.
Sometimes a machine shop would be able to fix this. The motor woould probably need to be removed. Good Luck. Keep us posted
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the encouragement, but this cart is beating me up. I like it though. Darn thing doesn't even have an air filter on it, or the air intake housing, and it runs great, if I can keep the darn wheels rolling. I'd like this one better than my Par Car, because although that one is in great shape, the darn thing just won't keep running!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well, it took a while, but I finally GOT IT! Using the dremel to cut a screwdriver slot was a great idea, but didn't work. Finally went at it with the drill, carefully, and drilled straight through the bolt (OK, well, not "straight", but I got through it). Then took an easy out and hit it once and out it came. Ran a tap through and the thread appear fine, so I'm going to pick up a 7/16-20 bolt, and try again. Figured out that I snapped the bolt because I was trying to push the clutch onto the shaft. Bad idea. There's a key that hold it from spinning and the bolt holds it all in place. It was never supposed to be pushed to the end of the shaft. Live and learn, I guess. It's getting locktite on it this time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0002.jpg (66.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg dsc_0003.jpg (61.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No need to over tighten it ...... let the locktite dry overnight and do it's job.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Right on! just like the pros do it!...whatever it takes. I'm happy for you
Old 09-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Alright! It's driving again. Let the locktite on the clutch bolt set for a day. Hopefully that's the end of THAT. Also happened upon a great EBay find. $10 for a new air filter canister, basically the whole intake up to the carb. This was a lucky one, as I happened to get on EBay, looking for nothing in particular, and found that, with 2 hours left on the auction. Hopefully get that this week, but in the mean time, the one form my Par Car fits, so I'll use that.

Also has a bit more climbing power with the smaller tires. There is a loose connection somewhere, and it does not always turn over, but I think it just needs new battery cables. They are so bad that I can't even tighten them to the battery post.

If nothing else breaks, I'll start prep'ing it for paint. Needs a lot of sanding a clean-up. Maybe next week I'll stumble on some springs and shocks for it!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You're probably right on the cables. A bad ground and the cart will do nothing.
If that doesn't do it check the starter connections, then the solenoid. You're doin' good.
Sometimes they are a challenge
Old 09-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
scubajoe
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll get in there with a meter next time it does it, but usually jiggling the battery cables does the trick, so hopefully that's all it is.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO