lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Lightninn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Need help diagnosing

Friend of mine has a 93 EZ Go gas cart with a 295cc Robins 4 stroke engine. Governor has been adjusted such that the cart runs about 25mph with 22in tall tires. Problem is this: Once above about 20mph, the engine starts to smoke pretty badly. The engine seems to run fine up to this point. I'm guesssing he's blown a head gasket. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help on this.
Lightninn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Need help diagnosing

Is he getting oil in the air filter box? and with ajusting the governor to do 25mph it's not going to last long.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

On a lifted cart the full mark on the oil dipstick would be wrong, it's slightly under that mark. you need to drain the oil and put 1.5 qts in it, let the oil settle and check again and mark the dip stick as to the correct amount. this could push to much oil into the breather then it gets sucked into the carb
a wet and dry compression test may be in order also. these engines oil rings will get to sticking and this can be a cause too. If they're not working good oil can get right by them and be sucked into the combustion chamber. the engine can have good compression but still smoke cause of stuck oil rings.
i kinda doubt the head gasket is causing this but I guess it's possible. I tend to think it would smoke most all the time if the head gasket was blown and sucking oil into the chamber that way.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Lightninn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the tip on the oil level. Silly question - Why would adding a lift kit change where the oil level shows on the dip stick? I'll check to see if he's getting any oil in the air box.

Concerning stuck oil rings, wouldn't that cause the engine to smoke at all rpm ranges? His engine is showing signs of an oil leak at the head/cylinder junction. I was thinking it may be the head gasket because at low to upper mid rpm the engine does not smoke. It's only after it reaches 20+ mph that it starts to smoke. I was thinking maybe the gasket is holding pressure up to that point and then allowing blow-by. Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightninn View Post
Thanks for the tip on the oil level. Silly question - Why would adding a lift kit change where the oil level shows on the dip stick? I'll check to see if he's getting any oil in the air box.

Concerning stuck oil rings, wouldn't that cause the engine to smoke at all rpm ranges? His engine is showing signs of an oil leak at the head/cylinder junction. I was thinking it may be the head gasket because at low to upper mid rpm the engine does not smoke. It's only after it reaches 20+ mph that it starts to smoke. I was thinking maybe the gasket is holding pressure up to that point and then allowing blow-by. Thoughts?
Changes the angle of the engine. The dipstick is in the front and the lift angles the engine to the back...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How about de-tuning the governor a bit just to be safe?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightninn View Post

This is why I took mind reading 101 in college. I was just testing you to see if you'd ever end up telling me about the oil comming out the head gasket. congratulation, you passed.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
Lightninn
Getting Wild
Club Car

LOL!! To my defense, he and I work together and after questioning him about having oil in his air box he enlightened me of the oil leak.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Lightninn
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks Mike for the explanation on the lift kit.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Governors are added for a reason. When you adjust them to where they no longer work, then engine damage and and will happen...

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO