lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-15-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
dss596
Not Yet Wild

Default Fuel Gauge Help

I need help wiring a in a fuel gauge. The cart didn't come with a gauge but I bought a fuel gauge which is a factory EZ GO gauge. I wired the cart for the gauge along with the oil pressure light, stereo, cig. lighter and headlights. I have the factory wiring diagram for accessory wiring which just shows that you need +12 from the key switch to gauge and a ground to the gauge and then a wire from the sending unit to gauge and a ground for the sending unit.
On the back of the gauge it has the letters s,g,I by the terminals and I don't know which wire to hook to where on the back of the gauge. I'm guesing (s) to the key switch and (g) to ground and (I) to the sending unit. What do you all think? I haven't ordered the sending unit yet. I just what to get the dash wiring done so I can put the front body back on. Thanks for any help.
dss596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
capthump1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Location: (winter) Homosassa,Fl / (summer) Bayonne,N.J./ Port Jervis, N.Y.
Default Re: Fuel Gauge Help

I would think, s= sender g= ground I= ignition. There should be another wire for a light ,if it has one. If it does you can hook it to your light switch. I don't know how you wired your lights...either you installed a seperate switch or an ignition switch with the head light switch in it.
capthump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
dgrebe
Not Yet Wild

sorry to be Hijacking your post. But maybe we can both get answers about the gas gauge. I was just working on this last night. I am also trying to figure out how this wired.
Most of the time my gauge doesn't working at all,.. but every once in a while it starts reading then goes dead again. It acts like a loose wire.

There is a black wire connected to the outer ring lug of the sending unit. I ohmed this wire to ground. A yellow wire is connected to the center pin. I measured voltage on this wire, approximately 8-10 volts depending how much I pressed the gas petal. I also measured about 100 ohm between these two wires.

These two wire from the sending unit go into a wiring bundle along with another white wire that is coming from the engine behind some panel. Can't really tell where this white wire is coming from. This wire bundle now heads up to the instrument panel that I can't get to, yet.

I am guess that I will have to remove the two rivets (shown below) to get the gauge out and inspect the wiring. Maybe the white wire is for the oil indicator?

Anyone have anymore input about the wiring of this gauge? If need be.. I will remove the gauge this weekend and take a picture for you capthump1.
dgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
dss596
Not Yet Wild

capthump- that makes sense. My headlights are wired through the ignition switch. There only 3 connections on the back of the fuel gauge, so i don't know if it's lighted all the time or just doesn't have a back ground light.

dgrebe- The white wire is from the oil pressure sending unit to the oil pressure light.
dss596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
capthump1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Location: (winter) Homosassa,Fl / (summer) Bayonne,N.J./ Port Jervis, N.Y.

An eazy way to check is to take the center wire off the sender. With the ignition on, and the wire off the gauge should read empty, connecting the wire to ground should pin it to full. Most senders are 240 ohms empty-30 ohms full ,some european made are 0 empty 180 full. So if your gauge does the opposite of what I said It could be a european sender. If the gauge moves its a bad sender, if it don,t it could be the gauge or a wiring problem, let us know what you find.
capthump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO