lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
TheDoubleD
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Location: ...in big sky country, in the shadow of the Sweet Grass hills
Default 1st Cart, G1 get me started...

My friend found me a G1. As soon as the snow melts I have to drive down to Idaho and pick it up.

In the mean time I am data mining. Thanks to the postings on this forum I have found serial number-year info- mine is a 1980, parts list and service manuals.

I also read a lot of post on projects-Geep1 project is pretty neat.

I don't have any plans for any elaborate custom work. Just do the basic check ups and take it out in the gopher fields of Montana gopher hunting. I will have the seats reupholstered and eventually do a lift. But first things first.

What basic checks should I make when I get the cart up here; belts, filters, etc?
TheDoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: 1st Cart, G1 get me started...

Welcome to BGW!! Glad you like the Geep1

Does the cart run now? Sounds like you know where to start, with the basics. Filters, belts, spark plug, fresh gas, battery terminals. It looks to be in pretty nice shape, we need to know more.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That buggy looks like it is in pretty good shape. Check the basics-Air filter precleaner can be washed out with soap and water if it is in good condition. The paper element should be replaced if it is dirty. Check/replace the sparkplug, fuel filter and belts. Clean the battery terminals and have it tested. Examine the tires for condition and pressure. Think about whether they are suitable for your needs or should be replaced. Check the front end for worn parts. Has it been sitting for awhile? Should the gastank be removed, dumped out and cleaned? Does it start and run well, or does the carb need to be disassembled and cleaned? This may sound like a lot, but an afternoon spent going over the cart should get it up and running, or at least tell you where you need to go. Good luck and have fun with your new project.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
TheDoubleD
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My friend who bought it for me tells that it runs just fine and was used for golf this season.

Something was said about the battery wouldn't hold a charge between rounds...Cart is at 5200 feet elevation and below zero winter temperatures...that isn't kind to batteries.

I will be using it as a GAV- gopher assault vehicle. Here in Montana we drive around the wheat fields and cattle pasture and shot the ground squirrels that are a pest.

I may lift the cart, if I can with out a bunch of work or having to cut the frame.

I will also look building shooting rests so we can shoot from the seat. ( Legal in Montana off road ) Any ideas for that would be appreciated.

Thanks for the welcome by the way!
Old 11-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

That looks like a nice old cart--Just do what Ron and GMB said
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
SteveRand
Yamahaulin' CC Rider

Mixed Breed

Welcome to BGW! You're off to a real nice start already! Joining this site will be the best thing you'll do for the G1! It should be a good buggy for you, if the frame is healthy. What we can see looks pretty good.

Heck, it even has that little gismo that cleans your balls! How convenient!

Keep us posted on your progress, and we love lots of pics!
SteveRand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
haus513
Getting Wild

Yamaha

That looks like it is in real good shape to start out with. How much did you get it for? Man I wish I would have got a ball cleaner with mine!!!!! Nice find. Good luck and welcome.
haus513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
TheDoubleD
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

$350....I am going to convert the ball and club washer in to a cartridge carrier for the gopher guns....any body have plans for shooting rest mounted on golf carts?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
haus513
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Caldwell makes a nice shooting rest with bubble level that should not be hard at all to mount for like $20 with doesnt seem like it would be worth making one when you can get one at that price. That would be the route I went if it was me. http://www.eabco.com/CaldwellShootingBenchrest.htm
haus513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
TheDoubleD
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus513 View Post
Caldwell makes a nice shooting rest with bubble level that should not be hard at all to mount for like $20 with doesnt seem like it would be worth making one when you can get one at that price. That would be the route I went if it was me. http://www.eabco.com/CaldwellShootingBenchrest.htm
I had been looking at that and trying figure out how to mount it to the cart. I may have to get one and just try and see what I can come up with.

Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha