lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Electrical Testing

I inherited a 2001 Yamaha G16 8 passenger Limo. It hasn't run for 3 years. All the electrical parts (regulator, solenoid, relay, and some other parts I can't identify) were all in a box. I ordered a new carb as the one on it was frozen up. While I'm waiting on the new carb, I changed out all the fuel lines, inspected and tested the fuel pump, flushed the gas tank, changed the oil, and soaked the cylinder in Marvel Mystery Oil.

Question: Is there any procedures available that I can follow to test all the electrical components for operational while I'm waiting on the carb to get here?

Does anyone have a picture of how the solenoid wires up?

Thanks for any input.
Checkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Electrical Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkride View Post
I inherited a 2001 Yamaha G16 8 passenger Limo. It hasn't run for 3 years. All the electrical parts (regulator, solenoid, relay, and some other parts I can't identify) were all in a box. I ordered a new carb as the one on it was frozen up. While I'm waiting on the new carb, I changed out all the fuel lines, inspected and tested the fuel pump, flushed the gas tank, changed the oil, and soaked the cylinder in Marvel Mystery Oil.

Question: Is there any procedures available that I can follow to test all the electrical components for operational while I'm waiting on the carb to get here?

Does anyone have a picture of how the solenoid wires up?

Thanks for any input.
If you go to www.yamahagolfcars.com/partsandservice you can look at the owners manual (witch has a wireing diagram) or view a parts book. You can "bench test" the solenoid/key switch/stop switch and even the stater/generator, you can't bench test the engine stop relay or the voltage regulator. Pretty simple on the solenoid wireing, Battery positive cable to one of the large posts, other large post will be a cable to the starter generator. The 2 small posts will be 1 black-ground and the other red -positive, it does not matter witch small posts you attatch them to. Good luck on your new toy....Lets see some pictures!
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. I'll do that. What does the stop switch look like?
Thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Smallblock, here are a few photos per your request. Think it will ever run again? If I can get it all well mechanically, I will do a frame off restoration.
I still would like to know what a "Stop Switch" looks like and what it does. I'm new to gas carts.

I did find a couple post that provided some helpful info. I'll keep looking and hopefully get more input.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G16 1.jpg (405.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg G16 2.jpg (418.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg G16 3.jpg (107.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg G16 4.jpg (569.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg G16 5.jpg (105.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkride View Post
Smallblock, here are a few photos per your request. Think it will ever run again? If I can get it all well mechanically, I will do a frame off restoration.
I still would like to know what a "Stop Switch" looks like and what it does. I'm new to gas carts.

I did find a couple post that provided some helpful info. I'll keep looking and hopefully get more input.

Thanks
Shure. Very cool car It will be a bear to turn in tight area's. The stop switch is located at the accelerator pedal area. When you push on the accelerator pedal, it opens the the cicuit and "activates" the solenoid.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Must admit, the wireharness looks abused/chopped up.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #7
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I agree on the turn radius, 144" wheelbase. What do you think about a lift kit on this type of car? or
Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I downloaded a PDF of the service manual. That should help me.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha