lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
wlbcart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1981 G1A won't start

Hi all, new to the forum and new to carts. Got the G1A free from a "buddy" who couldn't get it running. I read a bunch on the forum and decided crank seals were in order. Bought a service manual, clutch sheave puller, and misc parts and went to work. Long and short of it is, the cart cranks over, but kicks back like it's out of time. Has spark, fuel, compression (125#), and the timing checks out to be correct according to the marks. BTW, only kicks back during starting effort with gas, fire etc in place. Does it in both fwd and reverse. I'm stumped. The goal on this "free" project was to gamble a couple hundred to see if it would run at all. So far no luck. Unless someone has a really good suggestion, I'm gonna bail and sell it out for parts. It is ugly, but all there including a Jake's lift and Carlisle Work Mate tires on steel wheels 21x9.00x10NHS. If anyone has a clue, please advise....Thanks.
wlbcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1981 G1A won't start

Take the muffler off and try it. might be pluged up.
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
wlbcart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Already BBQd the muffler while I had it off. Was getting slight amount of smoke from exhaust pipe while cranking...probably left over from BBQ. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

pull the flywheel and make sure the key is not sheared off. sounds like its out of time.
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Field6565
Gone Wild

It sounds like you have timing issues. Did you put the timing plate back in the exact same spot? When I took mine off I marked the plate and the crankcase so It would be precise when I put it back on.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
wlbcart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the replies. I agree it acts like a timing issue. However, I did as you suggested when I removed the base plate...marked it and put it back in the same position. Also, re-checked the timing by dial indicator on the piston. Per the service manual 1.3mm BTDC and the marks on the flywheel and base plate lined up. I also considered whether the cylinder was flooded but find no evidence of hydo-locking. Really weird deal. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 AM   #7
rvrnmfo
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I had a simmilar problem. check your exhaust port. there should be a butterlfy that closed when you let off the gas. Mine had the shaft but not the butterfly. the little screws that hold it in place fell out the the butterlfy fell into the muffler and blocked it about 95% and would not let the motor start up.

It ran with the muffler off. I cut it open, removed the butterfly and welded it back up.

This one took me hours to figure out . I had gas, spark, compression, timing was good. My dad came by and had me on the problem in 5 min...
rvrnmfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
wlbcart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Lots of great input, but the muffler is clear and the exhaust valve is functioning properly. Anyway, all is OBE at this point. I put the cart on craigslist for $250 and sold it immediately... Could have sold 10 at that price! thanks again for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha