lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #1
a70eliminator
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Only runs with choke ?

My 1994 club car has a flat head motor with a simple little carburetor, it's been running great till last night the kids took it mushroom hunting and said it ran out of gas, I was able to limp it home by holding the choke, let off and it stalls completely.
I pulled the carb today and it was clean but i went ahead and blew out all orifices removed jet and imulsion tube and cleaned everything good needle and seat all good float adjustment good but still have the problem, I pulled the feed hose from fuel pump with engine running and fills a cup with fuel pretty fast, put my thumb over hose it does build a little pressure but not a whole lot? I take fuel pump apart and diaphragm looks acceptable I'm stunped, it's somehow got to be fuel related, intake manifold gasket maybe? i'm stumped any suggestions?
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Rjl2006KR
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Only runs with choke ?

I was driving mine a couple of weeks ago on the golf course and stopped to hit the ball, got back in, cart wouldn't start. Held the choke in and it limped up the hill until I messed with it some more after finishing the hole. Found the fuel shut off switch was turned just enough to stall out the motor but was still slowly filling the filters.

That is just something small to check. I screwed with mine long enough that I as pretty pissed by the time I figured out what was wrong.
Rjl2006KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
a70eliminator
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks but mine has no shutoff valve, the cap is vented and clear, the fuel pump is pumping and all the hoses are good.
I pulled the carb down AGAIN thinking I may have missed something, the jets and tubes are clean now they are shiny too! The float needle opens and closes float setting is level with body when closed.
I'm still inspecting the carb with a magnifying lense, it's still in pieces, I'm bound to find a solution on why fuel is not getting to cumbustion chamber, if I cover the carb inlet with my hand while cranking motor it build great vacuum so I know the valves are working and motor is pumping, it only has power with choke and runs on choke WTF.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Rjl2006KR
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you spray starting fluid into the intake does it fire well without choke?
Rjl2006KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
a70eliminator
Getting Wild
Club Car

Oh yea! She kicks right into overdrive with starter fluid so lnow it's something with the carb.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Are you trying to start it with out the air box hooked up. These motors are air sensitive. Worth a try if your out of options
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
a70eliminator
Getting Wild
Club Car

Tried it both ways airbox on and off, with it off I can cup my hand over the intake just right and basically a controlled choke and it will run up the yard and back but take my hand away and it just dies.
The idle mixture air screw is responsive to adjustment on the idle circuit and it isles nicely, open the butterfly even slightly and she stalls right out, checked compression and it's about 75-80lbs on this KF82 don't know how good that is but the motor runs strong when choked, again this carb is spotlessly cleaned and float adjusted, using a clear tube for fuel and can see plenty of fuel.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
illregal
Not Yet Wild

If it was run out of fuel, its gotta have something gummed up in the carb. Probably had been sitting at the bottom of the tank for some time.

I believe 80lbs is in rebuild territory for the compression. But it was running fine before running it out of gas so that shouldn't be the issue.

I'd just clean the carb out, on the adjustment screw, I'd turn it all the way in, and then loosen it 2 turns. Which should get it running, then adjust from there.
It's way to lean at the moment.
illregal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
ezgo on fire
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think those motors only had 100 lbs new. I could be wrong. I've seen fe motors run fine on 60 lbs compression. Man I don't know. Are you sure they ran it out of fuel and nothing else happened. Theres a valve plate that you can take off and check the valve to make sure there ok. Clearance is suppose to be around .006 I think. There not easy to adjust though.
ezgo on fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
a70eliminator
Getting Wild
Club Car

They assumed it ran out of gas, kids were too stupid to look into the tank, it had 3/4 of a tank! You know kids everything is disposable these days, when it breaks throw it away.
I'll figure it out just have to sleep on it. It's been running great until now, the kids said they just drove it up the pasture about 300yrds. parked it and walked into the woods, then 1 hr later it wouldn't start back up, i did see it sitting on the hill. so I do believe them, wondering if it could be as simple as being a little low on oil in the crankcase leaving too much void and less crankcase prssure grasping at straws here because it isn't the carb.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car