lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
ofatmikeo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 89 DS clutch not engaging

ok so u guys helped me out tons. I got the clutch back on this morning, just had to buy a new bolt. once I got it back on cart drove great for about an 1/2 hour then just quit. it almost seems as if the engine is either not getting enough rpm or maybe its not even running and just the starter is turning it. the clutch wont engage ??? it is getting spark , not sure if its getting fuel ( how do the fuel pumps work on these are they electric, mechanical or just vacuum from the carb??) the tank is 3/4 full tho. where should I check next ? thanks guys any thing helps

**edit , see post below . pretty sure its fuel related
ofatmikeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
ofatmikeo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 89 DS clutch not engaging

ok so I was out messing with it a little more im pretty sure its not getting fuel. I pressurized the tank and could visually see fuel going to the carb through the clear hoses. it kind of started sputtered then died. I also found a small diameter hose coming from right above the fuel bowl but it does not connect to anything. I blew a little air into the open end and the engine fired right up ran for about 20 seconds then died . is the black line/hose supposed to be hooked up to something if so where?
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #3
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

well since we have not great detail here on what kind of cart or engine , im going to go with check the pulse line going to the fuel pump i bet your getting oil traveling up and blocking the pulse , also check to see the oil is not over full , also it sounds like maybe you have an ethanol problem , i.e. gas taking on water due to ethanol , pull the gas line off the engine and put it in a glass jar then crank the engine , this will tell you if the pump is working , you should get a pretty good stream from it , once the jar it about half full pull it out and set it aside and watch for separation I.E. water in the bottom of the jar , if this it the problem then you need to clean out the fuel system and carb and start with some fresh gas , i would also think that the carb is plugged up and needs to be cleaned
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

There is a hose that comes off the carb that just openly vents to the ground. It's supposed to be disconnected. Don't worry about it, it's not supposed to be attached anywhere.

What you hear and see when the cart is trying to run but not firing is the electric starter generator turning the motor over (much like the starter on a car). But the motor isn't firing, it's just not starting up at all. After you cycle the motor with the starter/generator and it doesn't fire up, pull out the spark plug and see if it's wet. If it's wet, you have fuel.

And what Nobuck said about the pulse line (the vaccum line that powers the fuel pump), that can get clogged with oil so make sure it's clear. If you hit a large bump or something, oil can get bounced up and sucked into that line and your fuel pump will then quit. The oil will usually then then drain back down out of it and back into the crankcase, and the line will clear. But if you haven't changed the oil in awhile, the oil may be thick and dirty, causing it to not drain down as easily.

Nobuck, he has an '89 Club Car gas DS, KF82 motor.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's a pic of the pulse line hookup. Comes from the side of the crankcase and up into the fuel pump. This is what "powers" your fuel pump.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
chevydmax6
Gone Wild

Club Car

The line u are talking about sounds like a line that will go from the carb the to the valve cover if it is not hooked up or got a crack it will just crank and not fire
chevydmax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #7
ofatmikeo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

i apreciate all the help/info guys. I guess im a little embarassed to say that i'm a mechanic for a living :( but i have never tinkered with small engines or many carburators fuel systems. ( I'm a heavy Diesel Tech for a Caterpillar dealer) . So this has really been quite the learning experience .

Anyway back to the cart. i did pull the plug and it was dry but had a little black powdery build up on the thread end (carbon?) but non the less was dry and the electrode itself looked although a little white pretty clean ( i also lightly cleaned the electrod with fine emry cloth). also thanks for confirming it was not running just turned by the starter lol. . I pulled the pulse line and it was dry. oil level is just slightly lower than the full mark. I had also cleaned the carb inside and out with a little carb cleaner (after it quit running) but did not disassemble and clean.

I will check the water content in the fuel later today. also is it advisable to try and clean the pump internally or is it just easier to replace with a new one if it were to be the problem (never seen this type of pump before)?
Old 09-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I've never had my pump apart but I think someone here did recently and I thought I remembered them saying it was easy to clean and put back together. If you're comfortable with buying a new one anyway you might as well give it a shot, what have you got to lose?

Another thing on the pump. Make sure that external brass filter is clean, if it gets dirty it can clog and that will also disable your pump. The filter is that small, light-colored circle that's off-center right there on the pump housing in the picture I posted. Get some brake cleaner on it to clean it. The one in the picture looks really clean, get it looking like that!
Old 09-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
ofatmikeo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

update. ok so lastnight i took the hose off to fill a jar with fuel. no fuel would pump out. so i put pressure to the tank to push the fuel out. . decided the pump was dead. i took of the pulse hose and still looked dry. i blew into it and it was restricted. after dislodgeing the restriction i threw the hose on, purged the ait from the fuel line and she fired right up! drove it for about 10-15 min and it died again. since it was dark and my niegbor was giving me the eye i just pushed it up to my garage. i will llok at it again today after work. hoping the line is just clogged again . also im assuming i should change the oil???
Old 09-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
ofatmikeo
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

oh and no seperatrion in the jar of fuel either
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car