lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #11
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: EZ Go TXT won't pull hills

You could swap the big cables from the motor to the FnR switch to see if that changes performance in either direction. Cart will run in reverse when in the forward position, etc. Be sure to disconnect the Pack pos or neg before doing anything with cables to keep from accidently shorting anything out, then reattach when cables are reconnected. May show something.....
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #12
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you do replace the batteries replace them all. Don't try to reuse the one from 2020 with new ones. intermixing the batteries will age them all much faster than normal.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
timwc1953
Not Yet Wild

So today I installed brand new batteries in the cart, pretty much the same result. Cart will not go up a fairly steep grade but will go up that same grade in reverse just fine. It runs fast on level ground, will top out at about 22 mph. It just seems to not have very much low end torque. Not understanding this at all. Any ideas??
Yes may try what Bama Brad said just to see what happens.
timwc1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Check all of your battery and motor cables for bad connections. That can make a big difference under load. If you have new batteries you might want to invest in new 2 ga cables. I recently replaced my stock cables with 2 ga and I noticed a difference even though my old stock cables were in good shape. (probably were 6 ga)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #15
timwc1953
Not Yet Wild

Volt_ampere, my battery cables are new 4 gauge. They don’t heat up so I think they are heavy enough. I had take this cart to the shop because it wouldn’t run at all and after 30 days they finally put a new controller on in. Actually they shipped it off to be repaired. During this time, the suspected and replaced the motor itself, but the controller was the issue. They put the old motor back in since it was not the problem. But I am still wondering why this cart will not pull a slightly steep hill in forward but will in reverse? Motor issue maybe??
Old 10-26-2021, 08:23 AM   #16
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Motor doesn't care if you are going forward or reverse. Not sure why it would have different torque either. I would try to monitor pack voltage and see what happens when it sags trying to climb a hill.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #17
timwc1953
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I will try that this evening after work. I will low test the new pack in both forward and reverse and see what happens.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #18
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

With all that you have done, I would do a close inspection of the FnR switch. Try reversing the wires to the motor (at the FnR switch) and see if there is a difference.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:16 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
1. Motor doesn't care if you are going forward or reverse.

2. Not sure why it would have different torque either.

3. I would try to monitor pack voltage and see what happens when it sags trying to climb a hill.
1. Not entirely true. Some cart motors run better CW than they do CCW and in some brand carts CW is forward and in others SW is reverse. Not sure if CW or CCW is forward in EZGO or CC carts, but the motors are mounted on the opposite sides of the differential, so they spin in opposite directions when their respective carts are moving forward.

2. Brush timing. The magnetic field of the stator distorts in the direction the armature's magnetic field is rotating and if the brush's contact point on the commutator is shifted in the direction the armature is rotating the torque and speed are increased, but at the expense of torque and speed while rotating in the opposite direction. Cart motors are designed to operate roughly the same in both directions, so their brush timing has a zero offset, however, the end cap holding the brushes might have been twisted slightly during assembly giving one direction slightly better performance.

3. The batteries are tilted in different directions going uphill backwards than they are going uphill forward, so there could be a difference.

-----------
Something else to try: At the motor, swap both the A1&A2 cables and the S1&S2 cables. That changes the direction of amp flow through the armature and the stator, so the F/R lever still matches cart direction.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #20
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I agree that motors are timed for direction - should be optimized for FWD. It would be odd for a cart to generate more torque in reverse.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO