lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
grstibor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Enclosing underseat heat question

2014 EZGO TXT, I upgraded the battery and now have a lot more room under the seat. There are a lot of open spaces and holes that water, grass, dirt and mud splashes through and gets all over the place. I want to use ABS plastic, Kydex or some other plastic to make the underseat area more water/dust resistant. my question is do I have to worry about heat build-up in there that will mess up the controller? Is airflow needed under there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210712_205448.jpg (142.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210731_195721.jpg (207.9 KB, 0 views)
grstibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2021, 07:41 AM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Enclosing underseat heat question

You can "blockout" that section that you want to, and still provide adequate air flow to keep things good.

I built a "box" using treated plywood for my battery pack. The pic below is when my install was about 90% complete. I put a piece of treated plywood over the top (if I can describe this correctly) that covers from the back to about the front of the battery pack.

I also "installed" a piece of heavy clear plastic behind the battery box that shields any water splash from the back tires. If you look there is a large opening at the rear.

In addition, I drilled some "weep holes" at the bottom of the box to allow any drainage of water that would happen to get in.

I know this works well as I've hunted in the pouring rain and driven thru some pretty sloppy conditions and have had no water issues.

I hope this helps.

And hey.....here's a pic of my cart all cleaned up!! Prolly look like this for a few weeks....and then back to mud 'n stuff!!

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
You can "blockout" that section that you want to, and still provide adequate air flow to keep things good.

I built a "box" using treated plywood for my battery pack. The pic below is when my install was about 90% complete. I put a piece of treated plywood over the top (if I can describe this correctly) that covers from the back to about the front of the battery pack.

I also "installed" a piece of heavy clear plastic behind the battery box that shields any water splash from the back tires. If you look there is a large opening at the rear.

In addition, I drilled some "weep holes" at the bottom of the box to allow any drainage of water that would happen to get in.

I know this works well as I've hunted in the pouring rain and driven thru some pretty sloppy conditions and have had no water issues.

I hope this helps.

And hey.....here's a pic of my cart all cleaned up!! Prolly look like this for a few weeks....and then back to mud 'n stuff!!

I've been wanting to say this for a long time. I am very impressed with your craftmanship and wiring capabilities.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

:) Yes....well the pic I posted was during the install. It's much better now!! If you look at the BMS you can see that the only wires that are hooked up are the one's from the BMS to the cells.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
grstibor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the insight. I'll order some HDPE or Kydex and throw it in there next week.

Hunting and golf are my 2 favorite hobbies so I was torn between using it for golf for making an off road rig to zip around trails to check my game cams. I like what you've got going there. I bet it helps to haul deer back to the truck.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:40 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Yes it does. When hunting season comes in I remove the rear seat. I have a winch on the rear as well as the front. So, when I'm fortunate enough to take a deer I "hoist" the deer up via the winch and a pulley (pulley attached to the top cross-bar) and field dress 'em right there....then haul 'em out!!

Old 09-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #7
Anakalypto
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Enclosing underseat heat question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Yes it does. When hunting season comes in I remove the rear seat. I have a winch on the rear as well as the front. So, when I'm fortunate enough to take a deer I "hoist" the deer up via the winch and a pulley (pulley attached to the top cross-bar) and field dress 'em right there....then haul 'em out!!

Do you run the winch off an auxiliary 12v battery, or are you running it through a converter off your pack? If so, how are handling the amp draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anakalypto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:35 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakalypto View Post
Do you run the winch off an auxiliary 12v battery, or are you running it through a converter off your pack? If so, how are handling the amp draw?
I run both winch's and my headlights off of my 12V marine battery. The marine battery provides all the energy the winch's need to pull the cart onto the back of my pickup, pull the cart out of any stuck-in-the-mud situation I happen to fall into. (I try to avoid that.....but sometimes.....)

I just use a 12V battery (car) charger to recharge the 12V. I charge it when I feel it needs it. That marine battery is at least 7yo IIRC.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #9
grstibor
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Forgot to post completed pics for those that may go this route.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210816_211811.jpg (182.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210901_115201.jpg (99.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

You seem to have it all buttoned down and ready for heat!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO