lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
slimmyt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Weak Spark on one side of coil?

Hello Everyone. I have a problem with my cart I am having a hard time figuring out. It is a 01 ezgo 4 cycle. It ran great after an engine rebuild for several months and then all of a sudden it started running very sluggishly(to the point of barely trying to move) and backfires through the carb and exhaust. I have read posts until my eyes are crossed and can't figure it out without changing alot of expensive parts. I installed a new carb/fuel pump and still doing the same thing. I think I have found out that it is running on one cylinder. It runs on which ever cylinder the plug wire towards the front of the engine is attached to. It isn't the plug wires because I have switched them around also. Basically, the rear half of the coil has spark, but makes no difference on either cylinder and it is running on the front half of the coil only. I have adjusted the valves and the pressure on both cylinders is around 170 psi. Does that make sense to anyone? Has anyone seen this problem?slimmyt
slimmyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Weak Spark on one side of coil?

Hi slimmyt, and welcome ot BGW.
I've never heard of half a coil going bad, but that sounds like the problem. There are a lot of used coils around....I've got two of them.
See what some others think and we'll go from there. Something I don't know about may be the cause for the coil problem......The sponsors can always get a new one.
tonyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
slimmyt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

What is the purpose of the igniter? Would it have anything to do with the problem?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I believe that would be the brain of the ignition. I know it limits rpm to keep you from cooking an engine. It probably provides the advance it needs as rpm increases. I don't know for sure, so don't quote that.
The coil operates from two wires..I can't picture the igniter cooking half a coil. If they (igniters) don't work the cart usually does not run. It only takes a loose wire for a coil to be bad.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
tonyton
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There's only 3 components to the ignition. A pulser coil. That sends the signal from the crankshaft to indicate degrees BTDC. If it's bad, it will not run. The igniter processes that signal and sends a current to the coil. If it's bad they don't run....Then that leaves the ignition coil. That is the most commonly failed part that I have heard of.
Where's everyone? Gone for the holiday?
Old 07-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
pizzamaker
****tard supreme
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyton View Post
There's only 3 components to the ignition. A pulser coil. That sends the signal from the crankshaft to indicate degrees BTDC. If it's bad, it will not run. The igniter processes that signal and sends a current to the coil. If it's bad they don't run....Then that leaves the ignition coil. That is the most commonly failed part that I have heard of.
you got it the coil is my bet! the pulser and ignitor ether work or don't and would not affect one side of a coil.
pizzamaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
slimmyt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you guys for your input! I may be needing to buy one of those coils you have or I wouldn't mind spending the 60-75 bucks for a new one if I were confident that was the problem.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
dirtysouth
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Weak Spark on one side of coil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyton View Post
Looks like a skeleton crew this weekend.
dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
slimmyt
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

How much for a good used coil?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
ruredy
Born Wild

I have one i'd sell for $45 but maybe someone has one they don't need and would sell it to you less. I know I'll end up needing one and I only have one spare.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coil, igniter, spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO