lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2021, 12:07 PM   #1
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

Default coil getting hot and shutting cart down

I have been working on my friends mid 90's gas ezgo. I tested the starting circuit and everything lead to the foot pedal switch not working replaced that things worked for a while then the coil quit working replaced coil. drive it around and as soon as you stop it wont start or roll over no power to the coil to pull in the start solenoid. every time i think I got it it does it again.
Let it cool down and it will roll over and start. today when it quit the starter solenoid was so hot you couldn't touch it. any ideas?
cjpenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: coil getting hot and shutting cart down

The guys that work on the four strokes can tell you how to get to the pedal box under the floor mat, and the connection that spits off from the reverse buzzer switch. You have a corrosion problem that is causing high resistance.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:39 AM   #3
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

I replaced the micro switch in the switch box under the floor mat. I also lost power at one time and did find a bad connect where it spits and goes to the reverse buzzer. This didn't fix the problem.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:10 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

When you say you replaced the coil, i assume you mean the ignition coil. If however, you meant you changed the solenoid, then hopefully you changed it for a continuously operating solenoid and not an auto, starter solenoid.

If you got this wrong it will burn up.

If you got it right, then either the solenoid contacts are burned up and arcing and needs replacing, or you have corroded connections on the large terminals.

Either way, it looks like a new OEM continuous duty solenoid is required.

If you are getting no power on the blue wire to the solenoid small terminal, then you need to check that power is present at each of the following places. First the barrel fuse located near the solenoid, then on to the connections up to and at the forward reverse lever. then this feeds the micro switch under the floor. then it goes up to the ignition switch and back down to the solenoid. so the ign switch is the last in line to feed power to the solenoid. This is assuming you have tested for power at the solenoid with a DVM or at least a test lamp.

Also make sure you have a good ground on the other solenoid small terminal
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:25 AM   #5
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

sorry yes I meant solenoid. I called it a coil because that is what pulls in the solenoid to have main power connected from the foot switch.
We had so many problems with this cart that I thought the amazon solenoid I bought was bad. we fixed the micro switch, found a bad wire no power to it from the reverse buzzer circuit. it kept doing the same thing run then die run then die. so I ran to NAPA and picked up a lawn mower solenoid not realizing that there was a difference in continuous duty solenoids. That is why I was asking I didn't think the power was dropping off. The Amazon one I bought was stamped 14 volts and I thought that is why I was having problems as 12.6 volts might have not been enough to constantly pull in the solenoid to roll it over.
I will replace the NAPA solenoid as I see now that it is continually running and make it hot and not the correct solenoid.
Thank you very much for the help!
Old 06-14-2021, 07:11 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

No problem. I hope that is all it is. I see it so often that I carry them on my van now Lol
Old 06-14-2021, 08:09 AM   #7
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

the whole thing has been a mess. Its a good thing I could check things out with my multi meter as there was several factors going on and every time I found something and fixed it that lead to something else.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Skip the Amazon solenoid it probably was bad. I’d only buy an oem solenoid. Take a ride to your closest dealer.

I’ve almost had a cart burn to the ground because of a cheap Amazon solenoid. The battery side contractor inside it somehow shorted to the metal mounting plate, which mounts to the metal in the chassis. I heard it sizzling and flipped up the seat and saw the whole area glowing red…. Lucky I caught it when I did. Lesson learned
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I think direct from ezgo they are less than $30
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO