lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
greg1971
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 g16 yamaha (gas) very high pitch squeal on pressing accelerator

I have recently bought a 2002 g16 in very good condition. However in last couple of rounds on the odd occasion when pressing accelerator a very high pitch squeal occurs and cart goes nowhere. Usually taking foot off and pressing down again works ok but worried that something serious is going on. Anybody any ideas, can I do anything to fix ?
greg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 2002 g16 yamaha (gas) very high pitch squeal on pressing accelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1971 View Post
I have recently bought a 2002 g16 in very good condition. However in last couple of rounds on the odd occasion when pressing accelerator a very high pitch squeal occurs and cart goes nowhere. Usually taking foot off and pressing down again works ok but worried that something serious is going on. Anybody any ideas, can I do anything to fix ?
Sounds like the starter/generator belt is sliping. Probably just needs to be adjusted. Let us know what you find.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
greg1971
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2002 g16 yamaha (gas) very high pitch squeal on pressing accelerator

Thanks very much, will have a look and get back to you !
Old 06-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Likely the gen belt, they need to be pretty tight. They squeal and heat up, then grab and start the engine but it wears the belt. Also if the cart crawls when you are starting it, the clutches might need to be cleaned and lubed so they don't drag on the drive belt as much, it makes the engine harder for the gen to start.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
greg1971
Not Yet Wild

I really appreciate your'e reply, i have been searching the threads for information about effectively tightening the gen/starter belt for g16 and understand it relates to mounting screws and bending the starter back to tension the belt, could i ask for help re this as i would like to give this a go myself in the next couple of days.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I use a crowbar very gently, if possible on the end cap of the gen you don't want to put a dent in the center that could destroy it. Loosen the adjust bolt in the slot, ease some pressure on the bar and check the belt, when tight quick tighten the adj bolt back up. Sometimes you have to loosen the bottom bolt it pivots on but usually not. If you can use a wood board or if there is a place put a wrench on the gen mount. Some of them have a tab or hole for a ratchet, etc. usually next to the adjustment bolt.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I use a crowbar very gently, if possible on the end cap of the gen you don't want to put a dent in the center that could destroy it. Loosen the adjust bolt in the slot, ease some pressure on the bar and check the belt, when tight quick tighten the adj bolt back up. Sometimes you have to loosen the bottom bolt it pivots on but usually not. If you can use a wood board or if there is a place put a wrench on the gen mount. Some of them have a tab or hole for a ratchet, etc. usually next to the adjustment bolt.
You don't use a crowbar to adjust a G16 starter belt Loosen the 12mm head nut on the tensionor lock bolt, loosen the 2 17mm head pivot bolts, loosen the 10mm jam nut on the 10mm head adjustment blot, screw in the adjustment bolt till you have a tight belt (but there should be alittle deflection, don't want to damage the armature bearings) then just tighten the lock bolt, then the pivot bolts, your done. Might want to check the belt for cracks/fraying/gouges while your at it. good luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #8
greg1971
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much will update soon !
Old 06-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
You don't use a crowbar to adjust a G16 starter belt Loosen the 12mm head nut on the tensionor lock bolt, loosen the 2 17mm head pivot bolts, loosen the 10mm jam nut on the 10mm head adjustment blot, screw in the adjustment bolt till you have a tight belt (but there should be alittle deflection, don't want to damage the armature bearings) then just tighten the lock bolt, then the pivot bolts, your done. Might want to check the belt for cracks/fraying/gouges while your at it. good luck.
If it has a tensioner then you don't need to push it over. I've not done one of those in a while my bad.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
If it has a tensioner then you don't need to push it over. I've not done one of those in a while my bad.
Not bad, you were just trying to help, but it could have broken some parts, so that's why I posted. We all learn...I just happen to work on them every...every...every day
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha