lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
T.Wells
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question Hitch Recommendation

Hello,

I have a 2006 48v electric DS with a permanent rear seat. I wanted to pull an aluminum jet ski trailer that is loaded with a kayak back and forth the the boat launch ramp (~ a 200-yard trip). I made sure that I went with an aluminum trailer to keep the weight down compared to the galvanized steel trailers.

So, I wanted to ask for recommendations on a hitch for my cart. Is there a preferred make/model or install location?

Thanks,
T.Wells
T.Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Default Re: Hitch Recommendation

I went over to the local Harbor Freight and bought a 2" receiver tube and welded it to the underside of my cart. They have them in 12" & 18" lengths. You might want the longer one for what you're doing. I also made my rear seat floorboard flip up so I could access the receiver. Sorry I don't have any pics of mine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...=receiver+tube

You don't have to weld it. You could buy these and simply bolt it to the cart.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...re-u-bolt-zinc

Mine works good for me and is plenty strong for what I want to tow with it. A jet ski isn't very heavy let alone a small trailer with kayaks.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...=receiver+tube
Mr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

Also one of the site sponsors sells a pretty nice looking kit.

http://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/Hitch_s/88.htm
Old 03-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
T.Wells
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks. I was hoping that something like this would work:

http://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/Bumpe...p/hitch-14.htm

The total trailer weight is 170lbs and the single kayak is about 135lbs. I figured the cart would handle that without an issue since it will ride with 4 full-sized adults.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

That looks like it transfers the load to the rear step. If that's the case I would be concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
Hotfoot5
Not Yet Wild

I have one of those. All of the trailer/tongue weight is placed onto the bottom of the footrest. Not exactly ideal for heavy stuff.
Hotfoot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
T.Wells
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfoot5 View Post
I have one of those. All of the trailer/tongue weight is placed onto the bottom of the footrest. Not exactly ideal for heavy stuff.
Thanks. I've read that trailer tongue weight is about 10-15% of the total trailer weight. If that is accurate, I would have a total trailer tongue weight of ~70lbs. Do you think that is too much? Do you think something like Mr. Mike referenced in his second post would be better?

Once I have the trailer (I get it today) and get it loaded, I can take a more accurate tongue weight using a scale.

Thanks again.

T.Wells
Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #8
beau
Gone Wild
Club Car

It really depends on the quality of your step and the installation. I wouldn't do it on mine that way for fear that the step would be ripped off the cart under load. I have a factory ezgo step, while it is quite strong it isn't made for that type of load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
Mr. Mike
It's Beer Time!

Yamaha

I would agree with that. I don't know how much I would trust the step/footrest pulling. The downward force is not really an issue. 2 adults should easily stand on the footrest and not bend it but the horizontal force on it when pulling could potentially cause damage to the footrest. That's one of the reasons I chose to weld my hitch to the frame underneath right behind the bumper. Like I said I had to modify the footrest so that it would flip up and I can access the receiver tube.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
Hotfoot5
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Wells View Post
Thanks. I've read that trailer tongue weight is about 10-15% of the total trailer weight. If that is accurate, I would have a total trailer tongue weight of ~70lbs. Do you think that is too much? Do you think something like Mr. Mike referenced in his second post would be better?

Once I have the trailer (I get it today) and get it loaded, I can take a more accurate tongue weight using a scale.

Thanks again.

T.Wells

Yes your right about the 10-15%. I think that the hitch can hold 70lbs just fine. I use mine primarily for toting a "blue boy" sewer tote for the camper or a lightly loaded 6x12 utility trailer on my property.
Hotfoot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car