lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #11
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Added ScottyB's Voltage Reducer

kenacp,
Those kind of converters use a common negative, so the black wire is the 12v load negative as well as the 48v input negative.

The yellow wire or "trigger" wire is a low current +48v input signal to tell the converter to turn the 12v power on/off. It is a convenient way to turn all of the accessories OFF when You turn the key switch OFF.

Some folks like to put a switch on the +48v (red wire) for long term storage. The parasitic load is very small once the converter capacitors are charged, someone measure theirs in the few milliamp range.

If do use a switch for the red wire, it only needs 10amps on the +48v, so a 20amp switch would be more than enough.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 AM   #12
kenacp
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks Sergio! That explains it well.
I understood that operation with the five wires as shown in the wiring diagram with 5 wires. The common use of the neg. was confusing.
Thanks
kenacp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #13
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8gmc View Post
Where did you get the fuse block?
Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 5025 ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Blue Sea Systems 5025 ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover: Sports & Outdoors

Thanks Sergio for answering that, well put.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #14
Shotgun Willie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
If do use a switch for the red wire, it only needs 10amps on the +48v, so a 20amp switch would be more than enough.
20 amp switch @ 48v? Or will a regular 12v switch be fine, one like this:

http://www.marine-products.com/seach...pst-10801.html

I just received my reducer, and haven't started to dig into it yet... I guess I'll start by trying to find the switched power wire in the battery compartment. I'm really thinking about just pulling the red wire off the battery string when I store it out at the lease. It'll go a month or two without use while it's out there, so I don't want it to kill the batteries over that time.
Shotgun Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie View Post
20 amp switch @ 48v? Or will a regular 12v switch be fine, one like this:

http://www.marine-products.com/seach...pst-10801.html

I just received my reducer, and haven't started to dig into it yet... I guess I'll start by trying to find the switched power wire in the battery compartment. I'm really thinking about just pulling the red wire off the battery string when I store it out at the lease. It'll go a month or two without use while it's out there, so I don't want it to kill the batteries over that time.
That Red wire should be fused near the battery anyway, so just pull the fuse out for long term storage.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #16
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8gmc View Post
Where did you get the fuse block?
I've found them at 2 local boating supply stores also.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #17
Shotgun Willie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
That Red wire should be fused near the battery anyway, so just pull the fuse out for long term storage.
The man's got a point... That'll work.
Shotgun Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:13 PM   #18
JDH
Not Yet Wild

I also just purchased this 48 volt to 12 reducer and am confused as the diagram that came with it shows 5 wires and it only has 4 wires I also purchased that blue sea fuse box.

So if I understand this the yellow wire goes to the positive of the key switch, the black wire goes to the negative on the battery and the negative on the fuse box, then the red wire needs a 20 amp fuse in line and connects to the positive battery. This still does not make sense to me although I know nothing about wiring or how to wire golf carts.

How does the fuse box get positive power to run all the other accessories you hook up to it?
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #19
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
I also just purchased this 48 volt to 12 reducer and am confused as the diagram that came with it shows 5 wires and it only has 4 wires I also purchased that blue sea fuse box.

So if I understand this the yellow wire goes to the positive of the key switch, the black wire goes to the negative on the battery and the negative on the fuse box, then the red wire needs a 20 amp fuse in line and connects to the positive battery. This still does not make sense to me although I know nothing about wiring or how to wire golf carts.

How does the fuse box get positive power to run all the other accessories you hook up to it?
The green wire will go to your fuse block for distributing 12v accessories. These reducers use a common ground for both 48 and 12 volt.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #20
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
One thing I have noticed with these reducers is that they produce a pretty good spark and pop when you reconnect them to power, even if it's just been a minute or so. Popping that fuse back in the holder could be a little frightening...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car