lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
RGeddes
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 Club Car DS clicks but won't move

I recently got a 97 Club Car DS, electric, golf cart. It worked fine for a couple of weeks. It stopped working. It would try to go, hesitate, move a couple of feet, but would not go. This happened in forward and reverse. I tested all the batteries and found two batteries that were low. I was able to charge one and had to replace the other one. When I test the batteries, I get 48 volts. The lights and blinkers work fine. When I put it in reverse, it buzzes.

When I press the gas pedal with it in forward gear, I hear two clicks: one when you press the gas pedal and one from the solenoid. However, the golf cart does not move. I re-checked the voltage. It has gone down to zero. When I press the gas pedal again, I only hear one click. After a few minutes, it comes back up to 48 volts.

I've replaced the Solenoid, but it does the same thing. Why would the cart go down to zero volts and climb back up? Any ideas on what to check next?

Any help is much appreciated.
RGeddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 97 Club Car DS clicks but won't move

Sounds like batteries are shot. As soon as you put a load on them ( pressing the pedal), they drag down to zero.

You need a new set.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You can have a bad battery that reads good voltage without load, then when you load it the voltage drops way down. Check each battery this way and you will fine your problem.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
ern88
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

If I remeber correctly. I think when you have good batteries full charged. it should be over 48 volts. should be like 50 volts.
ern88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
RGeddes
Not Yet Wild

Before replacing the bad battery, the cart could move a few feet at a time. Now, the cart won't move at all.

I tested all the batteries. The new battery tests at 8.25 volts. All the other test between 7.74 and 7.98 volts. The new battery is getting the total up to 48 volts. Before I spend another $700 to $800, I want to confirm this is the problem.

How do I load test the batteries?

What is the minimum voltage that will make the cart work?

Why would the cart move when the total voltage was around 44, but won't move when the cart is around 48?
Old 07-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Attach your meter to the pack, post the standing no load voltage. Then watch the meter as you try to go. What does the pack drop to? A reading under 46 may not move the cart. As stated a full charge will settle (12-24 hours after the charge ends) to 50.9 volts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
RGeddes
Not Yet Wild

Today the batteries are down to 45.53 volts. When I put a load on them, they stay the same. I'm going to charge the batteries to see if I can get it higher.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Attach your meter to the pack, post the standing no load voltage. Then watch the meter as you try to go
45.53 volts at rest is a DEAD TIRED pack. According to the battery charts you have less than 10% of required charge.

After charging - do what Scotty indicated (quoted above) before attempting to move. It may look OK on the meter after charge, but when you attempt to drive I suspect voltage will plummet - indicating a bunch of worn out batteries. Because you never said the cart jerked and shuddered (what series carts typically do), I will assume you have a Regen cart (rocker switch for Fwd/Rev - not a big lever). They tend to just go bog-slow and eventually just stop with a dead pack.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #9
RGeddes
Not Yet Wild

I have the cart with the big level for forward and reverse

I've charged all the batteries. 1 battery is charged at 8.25, 3 batteries are charged at 8.05, and the last two at 7.98. My total charge should be above 48 volts. When I test the pack, I get only 45 volts.

Could I have a bad wire somewhere in the pack?

Or do I need to replace the two 7.98 batteries?

I'm trying to keep costs down.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
When I put a load on them
What kind of load?

Quote:
When I test the pack, I get only 45 volts
You know that can't be right if the individual voltages you've listed are correct - are you sure you are testing voltage from the very first positive post, to the very last negative one? What kind of voltmeter are you using - hopefully a digital one with a fresh/working battery?

Simply stated - resting at 48v is BAD, BAD, BAD (s/b 50.xx) but it can get the cart moving, whereas 45v pretty much won't. (I replaced ALL my very old battery pack when it didn't rest above 49.6).

Of course you need to go thru and make sure that all battery connections/cables and misc wire connectors are clean and tight. Please do the test that has been requested TWICE in this thread, there's a reason for it! Hook up a good voltmeter to the pack - set it on your lap and step on the gas to see what happens to the volts & advise. If the voltage doesn't change at all - then something might be amiss in the electrical system. But if it drops very low, then that means the cart is trying to move (meaning the electrical system is basically intact) but can't due to low voltage.

There really could be something else wrong with your cart....but because you don't seem to have sufficient voltage to run the cart anyway, its virtually impossible to help you trouble shoot.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clicks, club car, won't go
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car