lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
Steve Holchak
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Precedent charger

Left my 2010 plugged in as usual on July 7th @ beach house.Went July 18th, charger was ON, 5 amps. 15 days won,t be till Wed. Left it on for 4 hrs, still 5 amps. Decided to drive it and run batteries down, maybe 20 miles(Solid hour and a half. ) Cleaned all bat connections,Plugged in charger,4 hrs later it shut off. Waited 8 hrs, got 8.45 or better on all batteries, 51.5 @ pack.Questions:Was charger on for 10 days? Did obc make it come on before 15 days? I checked water while it was charging on 18th, water level was good, all batteries were bubbling(Barely). 2013 batteries. Everything seems normal now, I put it up fully charged, but did not leave it plugged in, I'm going back Thursday. Thoughts?
Steve Holchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Steve Holchak
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent charger

Nobody?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #3
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm not sure but I think the charger cycles every 14 days if left plugged in. It does seem strange that it would cycle off after you cleaned the battery connections. I don't know what triggers the charger to come on after 14 or 15 days. If it is a timer circuit it should be on the money time wise. If it senses the voltage across the pack then that may explain the difference. I'll try to do some research maybe someone else will chime in.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

As far as I know it is 15 days... Is there a possibility someone was using Your cart while You were gone and plugged it to charge a few hours before you got there?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Steve Holchak
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
As far as I know it is 15 days... Is there a possibility someone was using Your cart while You were gone and plugged it to charge a few hours before you got there?
No. It's locked up in my boatshed with no key. It was either on for 10 days, we plugged it in before we left, or came on prior to 15 days. We left it on when we returned, for 4 hours, it was still at 5 amps. Then, after cleaning cables and running for 1.5 hours, it fully charged in 4 hrs. I think the charger was on for 10 days myself. Seems fine now. I'm not going to leave it plugged in anymore, though. We usually make it to the coast every other week.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I can't believe it ran for 10 days without drying out the batteries or triggering the 16 hours max charging timeout.

If you leave the charger unplugged, also put it on Tow to reduce any possible drain on the batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Steve Holchak
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I can't believe it ran for 10 days without drying out the batteries or triggering the 16 hours max charging timeout.

If you leave the charger unplugged, also put it on Tow to reduce any possible drain on the batteries.
Really? Does that work? I will try this. Always takes 3 to 4 hrs. to charge after sitting for 7 days. My 1990 EZ Go with 8 year old Trojans takes 30 min. Go figure. BTW, I agree with your statement, it's a mystery now.10 days should have dried them out. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holchak View Post
Really? Does that work? I will try this. Always takes 3 to 4 hrs. to charge after sitting for 7 days. My 1990 EZ Go with 8 year old Trojans takes 30 min. Go figure. BTW, I agree with your statement, it's a mystery now.10 days should have dried them out. Thanks.
Question was the charger actually humming or could the amp meter itself perhaps been stuck? Most small amp gauges as such are not known for being the most accurate and/or durable.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Good point. The lens on my old charger was pushed back and it would keep the needle from returning to zero sometimes.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:31 PM   #10
Steve Holchak
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Question was the charger actually humming or could the amp meter itself perhaps been stuck? Most small amp gauges as such are not known for being the most accurate and/or durable.
It was humming, cells were bubbling, nothing was hot. I unplugged it in the shed, and moved it to the house, plugged it back in, still 5 amps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car