lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #11
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Does this sound like bad batteries?

That 52.7 volt reading is likely too fresh off the charger to be of any real value. A battery should be allowed to settle down at least 8 to 12 hours before a worthwhile voltage reading can be taken...

That 39 volt reading is what I would be worried about as unless your under say a heavy 4 passenger uphill load should your pack voltage should not drop below 42 volts....

Do you have a battery acid tester? You need to check the specific gravity of each cell; you will likely find that you've got at least one bad battery.

Another option would be to take your cart out and run it hard for a while until the surging gets bad to which you would then take voltage reading from each battery to see where each one is at.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2015, 11:24 AM   #12
Waco
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok just got back from driving while monitoring each individual battery. They all seem to do the same thing. One is no worse than the rest. So. Makes me think something else. Since I have had this cart (2 years) the motor whines pretty loud. I was not sure it was the motor or the rear end. Do you think the motor could be going bad and cutting out making the battery voltage fluctuate like this? Or Should we stay on tracking electric problem? Any ideas? thanks
Waco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #13
Waco
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The voltage drops on the batteries when I excellerate and maybe when it cuts back in after coasting for a split second. The voltage drops then I guess because of the demand to get back to speed. Does that sound normal?
Old 08-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #14
Waco
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I can get a hydrometor not sure how to spell that... at the auto parts store.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
Waco
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Oh yeah and after all that driving and monitoring the bats. Total about 2 miles. The voltage still reads 50.0 across the pack. Maybe I should just take the cart for a long drive. Have someone follow me. Something will have to give. The motor will quit or get hot, or a battery will die.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #16
Waco
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

my last couple of post are not showing up now. So here is some of my findings. I drove while monitoring each battery individually. None of them seemed any different that the rest of them. When I got done I had driven a couple of miles and my bat pack read at 50.0 volts. not too bad right. I got this ACG cart 2 years ago and the motor always whined pretty loud. Is it possible I have a motor going bad causing the cutting out symptom. Any ideas Thanks again
Old 08-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #17
Waco
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

K OK Got It!!!
I found a connection on the motor cable lug that was loose enough to move before I loosened it. So I cleaned both cables and lugs on the motor. and I am back in business.
when 91kuhndog said sounds like a connection problem.. I guess that means all the connections not just the ones on top of the batteries.
So thanks to all of you who chimed in to help with my problems. I learned a lot about batteries, So thanks again
Waco from Paradise TX
Old 08-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Outstanding Waco, glad to hear you found the problem. I work on all types of industrial equipment (and cars) and one thing that's always been consistent with electrical issues is poor connections or bad grounds. Good on ya!
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car