lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #11
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powerwise Charger Issues

Where is a good source to buy the control boards?
azTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

bought mine from a site sponsor thru ebay. Golf cart King I think had the better pricing when I needed one
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, I am gonna do some of JohnnyB's test to see what I am going to need.

So I am interested, with the Powerwise chargers that come in either 36v or 48v what is the difference? Can you just change out the controller board to go from 36v to 48v?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azTony View Post
Thanks, I am gonna do some of JohnnyB's test to see what I am going to need.

So I am interested, with the Powerwise chargers that come in either 36v or 48v what is the difference? Can you just change out the controller board to go from 36v to 48v?
Nope. Base voltage is determined at the taps on the transformer, the control board merely adjusts the current and voltage curves to suit the state of the battery pack.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The resistor went on the Power Input Board and fried the conductor to the relay on the PCB so I will need a new board. Gonna see if I can find one at a good price.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Interesting, has anyone replaced the Power Input Board and the Control Board with the new combined boards? So one board to replace both? Just want to make sure I am buying the right thing. I have a Powerwise (no LEDs) for a 96 E-Z-GO.

The AC power cord was cut in the middle and the end replaced with a different cord ( no idea what the PO did with this **** thing), I need to replace that while I am in there. Anyone know the correct length and gauge of that cord?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Nope. Base voltage is determined at the taps on the transformer, the control board merely adjusts the current and voltage curves to suit the state of the battery pack.
Actually, all the control board does in this type charger. is energize and de-energize a relay, which connects/disconnects AC power to the transformer.

The current and voltage curves (Charge profile) is determined by the matched ferroresonant transformer and capacitor.

In later charger designs with transformers that use SCR's as the output stage, the control board does more than just turn the charger On and Off.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by azTony View Post
Interesting, has anyone replaced the Power Input Board and the Control Board with the new combined boards? So one board to replace both? Just want to make sure I am buying the right thing. I have a Powerwise (no LEDs) for a 96 E-Z-GO.

The AC power cord was cut in the middle and the end replaced with a different cord ( no idea what the PO did with this **** thing), I need to replace that while I am in there. Anyone know the correct length and gauge of that cord?
Yes, the two boards have been replaced with a single board. If the board doesn't come with instructions, I think I have a copy around here someplace.

I'm pretty sure it is 16/3. The charger doesn't draw more that about 10A.
Length would be about 10', but whatever is needed up to about 20' and then I would use 14/3.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Thanx, Johnnieb!
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #20
azTony
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got everything ordered today from Golf Cart King (Thanks Brent!) and look forward to the parts arrival.

I had the charger apart and when I replace the board(s) I am going to clean everything up in there. I swear by the looks of it the PO used it for a boat anchor or it was in a flood. The entire inside is covered with mud and sand.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO