lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Bree
Not Yet Wild

Default Speeding up my elec stock ezgo

What are my options on speeding up stock 2000 elec ezgo?? Without putting to much money in to it.. Right now average speed is around 17mph, but would like to get up to about 25mph without losing to much Torque..
Bree is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speeding up my elec stock ezgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
What are my options on speeding up stock 2000 elec ezgo?? Without putting to much money in to it.. Right now average speed is around 17mph, but would like to get up to about 25mph without losing to much Torque..
You won't go 17 to 25 mph without making some changes and that will cost ya.
Which drive system do you have?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
Bree
Not Yet Wild

THANKS!! I am aware that I will have to sink some money into it to achieve my goals.. Sorry about that, when I said it was stock that's not exactly true.. It is lifted with 12" tires and lots of other bells & whistles on the outside.. But what is stock is the EZGO 36v (not high speed) MOTOR & CONTROLLER!! Would a new "Controller Box" help me out any without changing out the Motor or would I have to do both?? Just looking for options!! THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The cost of getting to 25 mph is going to depend, to a large degree, on the type of drive system. Is yours a series or sepex drive. If you are already getting 17 with the taller tires it is probably a sepex.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Bree
Not Yet Wild

Sorry guys, I'm still kinda new to this golf cart thing.. So it took me a while to figure out what kind of drive system I actually have.. But it is a Series drive system.. Is this good news or bad news for the goals I have?? And Thanks Again!!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Series carts make more torque than speed.
Sepex carts make more speed than torque

You can hit 20+ mph in a series cart but you have to do a complete upgrade usually with controller, solenoid, F&R, cables, & motor.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Bree
Not Yet Wild

So am I pretty much maxed out on the speed that I'm getting out of this system now?? I really don't want to put more than $200 or $300 in it right now.. Would a new "Controller Box" help me out any without changing out the Motor or would I have to do both?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
So am I pretty much maxed out on the speed that I'm getting out of this system now?? I really don't want to put more than $200 or $300 in it right now.. Would a new "Controller Box" help me out any without changing out the Motor or would I have to do both?
Bigger controller would allow the motor to access more amperage. Amperage = torque.
More voltage = speed
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Scotty is the man to talk to. For the money you speak of, you can add two more batteries and the cables. But be aware the extra voltage and the stress of the bigger tires/extra weight will take it's toll on your stock components. In brief, as Scotty suggested, if you really want that kind of speed and you are going to continue running the taller tires it would be BEST but not necessary, (yet), to replace the forward and reverse switch, solenoid and controller with heavy duty products. Along with that increase your cable size to 4guage or even 2 guage cables. Doing the upgrades will allow your motor to acquire every bit of power, (volts and amps) coming from the battery pack. That will help lengthen the life of your stock motor with larger tires a back seat and all those other "bells and whistles". When it comes time to replace your batteries, you will be ready and able to move up to 48 volts without any further changes. Again, talk, (email), Scotty. He will tell you exactly what you need to do now to add the extra voltage in the future.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Bree
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Everyone for all the info you provided me with, It was very helpful to me!! And I will send Scotty a email ( scottyb@cartsunlimited.net) so I can get a more detailed estimate on the speed up.. Or since my cart could use some upgrading in the suspension area as well, I may start there.. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO