lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
turkeyshooter
Getting Wild

Question Where to start?

I have a 98 Series cart 36 volts that will not move. It has 4 out of 6 fairly new batteries showing 36 volts total on the system, when checked with a meter. The cart has a hardly used 2 yr old D&D motor that I bought from them with controller & solenoid. Everything worked when I first put them in. I put cart in reverse & the beep sounded & it backed out of the garage then when I put it in forward it just acted like it was trying for a quick second. Then nothing. The light comes on the controller fine. I also installed an on board charger that does not seem to want to run the complete cycle showing ready. Just shows charging/flooded. cannot seem to get to the 42 volts that I heard was a completely charged system. Is there a way to check to see if I am getting proper voltage to the motor? Do you think its the motor or batteries? Seems like it should go for a short period even if batteries are not fully charged. Wife said it quit when grand-daughter put on the brakes hard.
turkeyshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
griffey
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where to start?

Hi. From what I understand fully charged 6 volt batteries should be 6.37 volts and a full 36 volt system should read 38.2 volts fully charged (not 42).

You said it backs out okay and then won't go forward--if you try to get it to back up again will it do so or is it dead in the water at that point?
griffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

can you push it? I ask because the grand daughter put brakes on hard. They may be stuck.
if you can push it. jack it up and see if the wheels will spin.
fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Fred, we need a few more decimals on those voltage numbers. What happens to the pack voltage when you turn the charger on? Can you see it jump up right away? Also, what happens to the pack voltage when you try and drive the cart? A pair of 36" light gauge jumper wires with alligator clips will make it easier to take voltages while you drive. If you have a battery dropping out the cart will act very strange.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
turkeyshooter
Getting Wild

Yes tires spin fine. I will get you more decimals on voltage. When I put it in gear with the charger plugged in, the cart will go, so apparently its not the motor. Be back in a few with more decimals.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm with Gornoman on this, it sounds suspiciously like bad battery(ies)
Can you rig the meter to the cart and try to drive? What does the voltage do?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
turkeyshooter
Getting Wild

It will not drive, so I cannot use the 36" light gauge jumper wires with clips. When I plug the charger in the voltage jumps up to 46 volts. When disconnected right now it is showing 35.7 on the pack.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
turkeyshooter
Getting Wild

Should I rig the meter to the cart & put it in gear & hit the pedal & get you a reading?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyshooter View Post
Should I rig the meter to the cart & put it in gear & hit the pedal & get you a reading?
yes,, and do it to each battery and tell us the readings
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
turkeyshooter
Getting Wild

I will get back to you in the am with the readings. I can get them easier with a 2nd person. Thanks for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO