lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ go project 36 v 48

I put together a list of various 6V, 8V and 12V golf cart batteries I have the specs on, built 36V, 42V and 48V pack with them and sorted the in ascending order of the Kilo-Watt Hours the packs contained. (IE: Least kWh at top, Most kWh at bottom)

6V batteries are in Black
8V batteries are in Blue
12V batteries are in Red

A dash (-) in a pack column indicates a pack of the voltage cannot be made with batteries of that voltage.

Not all manufacturers list kWh for their batteries and those that do give the at the 100 Hour discharge rate, which is very optimistic considering the Amps needed to move a golf cart.
Therefore I calculated kWh for each using the manufacturer's published AH at the 20 Hour rate, (which is still optimistic) times 2.122V per cell times the number of cells in the battery. (3 for 6V, 4 for 8V and 6 for 12V)

When considering batteries that are not on the list, especially the economy grades, just pick a battery with the same or similar voltage and AH (at 20 Hr Rate) rating, and that is where it will rank in comparison.

Have fun. I gotta go watch a NASCAR race.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Various Battery Packs - kWh.JPG (90.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #12
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

JB could you e mail me this, I cannot get it big enough to read it on my computer.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I put together a list of various 6V, 8V and 12V golf cart batteries I have the specs on, built 36V, 42V and 48V pack with them and sorted the in ascending order of the Kilo-Watt Hours the packs contained. (IE: Least kWh at top, Most kWh at bottom)

6V batteries are in Black
8V batteries are in Blue
12V batteries are in Red

A dash (-) in a pack column indicates a pack of the voltage cannot be made with batteries of that voltage.

Not all manufacturers list kWh for their batteries and those that do give the at the 100 Hour discharge rate, which is very optimistic considering the Amps needed to move a golf cart.
Therefore I calculated kWh for each using the manufacturer's published AH at the 20 Hour rate, (which is still optimistic) times 2.122V per cell times the number of cells in the battery. (3 for 6V, 4 for 8V and 6 for 12V)

When considering batteries that are not on the list, especially the economy grades, just pick a battery with the same or similar voltage and AH (at 20 Hr Rate) rating, and that is where it will rank in comparison.

Have fun. I gotta go watch a NASCAR race.
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Click on it once, then it opens up. Click a second time, then it opens in a new window, click again and it should magnify.

Alternatively, you can click once, then right click, "save image as..."
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Great Race! Passing was at a premium with the new car setup but it was still interesting. I'm a real Nascar fan but I am not that much a fan of restrictor plate racing.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flharleycop View Post
JB could you e mail me this, I cannot get it big enough to read it on my computer.

Thanks
Here is the .pdf file I made the .jpg from.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery kWh comparisions.pdf (22.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Great Race! Passing was at a premium with the new car setup but it was still interesting. I'm a real Nascar fan but I am not that much a fan of restrictor plate racing.
Me neither, it's akin to running our carts with 8Ga cables.

But, being an old guy, I was happy to see an old guy come in 3rd.

Hopefully, we'll see more one-on-one racing and less of the follow the leader stuff next week.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is the same data sorted differently.
The first file is sorted by Battery Volts, then by Brand name, then by Amp-Hours.
The second file is sorted by Battery Volts, then by Amp-Hours, then by Brand name.
Note: There are several ties, and Batteries with identical Volts and AH are listed alphabetically by Brand name.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

JB
Thanks that did the trick, so the higher KWH is the better battery to buy? I am still trying to get a hold of all this. The bottom battery is the Trojan so that would be the best performer?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The bottom battery is a Trojan T-145, which is rated at 260AH (13.2kWh in a 48V pack) and will give you the greatest run-time of the batteries on list.

Cart performance (acceleration and torque) will probably be about the same for any of the 18 batteries at the bottom of the list (225AH and higher) and maybe some with slightly lower rating will be be pretty close.

Battery prices vary form place to place, but the T-145 will likely be the most expensive battery in your geographical area, so check the prices (including S&H&Tax) of the bottom few on the list for the best bang for the buck.

Happy battery hunting.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you so much!

Tags
battery, build, volts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO