lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
bbradf44
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default batteries

hi me again
so i have a 92 ez go marathon that wont hold a charge longer than about 4 miles. i have a bunch of extra batteries ive been cycling through to see if there any better but no luck. my question is: if i were to wire a battery or 2 into the whole battery system(making 7 or 8 12v batteries) would that help? or is that just a bad idea?
bbradf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: batteries

First of all, both types of Marathon drive systems (Resistor or controller) run on a 36V battery pack. Connecting more voltage to them will burn out the controller or the resistor coils.

If the 12V batteries you have are used car batteries, you are probably lucky to get 4 miles.

If they are 12V deep-cycle batteries in reasonably good health, you might be able to connect three pairs of two in parallel in series for 36V and get something that resembles the normal storage capacity of the stock battery pack of six 225AH 6V batteries.

However, the footprint of a typical 12V deep cycle golf cart battery is larger than the footprint of 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries the battery frame was designed for, so they might not fit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
bbradf44
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
First of all, both types of Marathon drive systems (Resistor or controller) run on a 36V battery pack. Connecting more voltage to them will burn out the controller or the resistor coils.

If the 12V batteries you have are used car batteries, you are probably lucky to get 4 miles.

If they are 12V deep-cycle batteries in reasonably good health, you might be able to connect three pairs of two in parallel in series for 36V and get something that resembles the normal storage capacity of the stock battery pack of six 225AH 6V batteries.

However, the footprint of a typical 12V deep cycle golf cart battery is larger than the footprint of 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries the battery frame was designed for, so they might not fit.
i mistyped they are all 6v golf cart batteries. i have 6 in there now making 36v total. i have the bag space in back to put 2 more batteries. so it will fry my controller?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradf44 View Post
i mistyped they are all 6v golf cart batteries. i have 6 in there now making 36v total. i have the bag space in back to put 2 more batteries. so it will fry my controller?
I can see you are thinking The extra voltage will give you more torque and speed but the bad news is the stock controller can't handle more voltage and it will fry, maybe tomorrow maybe in a nano second... no telling when.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
bbradf44
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I can see you are thinking The extra voltage will give you more torque and speed but the bad news is the stock controller can't handle more voltage and it will fry, maybe tomorrow maybe in a nano second... no telling when.
will it fry even with just 6 extra volts? im to the point where ill try anything haha i live in a golf cart city so thats my main transportation and i lack funds for expensive parts/a whole new cart so im looking for ways to get the most out of what i have :)
Old 03-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Batteries are the heart on an electric golf cart. The only way you are going to get the cart to perform as designed is a new set of matched batteries. A set of trojan 105s will easily give you more than a 20 mile range assuming the cart is in good shape otherwise. Presently I believe these batteries are $99 each with core exchange plus 6% tax in PTC. So $636 if you install them yourself. You might get a small reduction in price if you have more than 6 batteries to trade in.
If you try to patch together some batteries of different capacity or age they will quickly all degenerate to the same performance as the weakest one and cost a lot more money in the long run plus you will never get good range and speed out of them.
The only other option is set of good used batteries but this only counts if they are a set------meaning they were purchased as a set new and somebody took them out of service early for some reason. An example would be if somebody upgraded their cart to 48v before the 36v set was used up. This might be hard to find but I would certainly contact the local dealers (several to choose from as you know) to see if they have any.
There is no cheap way out of this. Of course "cheap" is relative. Batteries are a lot more expensive in other parts of the country so be thankful for that.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
dirt68
Not Yet Wild

man am i glad i read this thread. i have 2 brand new batteries from costco and i was going to buy 4 used ones. now i'll get the other 4 new at costco so they are the same. thanks
dirt68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
bbradf44
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

alright so i have another problem. maybe i should start a different thread idk. but this morning on the way to school my cart rolled to a stop. i still heard the clicks when i pressed on the peddle just nothin coming from the motor. i havnt changed anything as far as batteries or wires and such this was just out of the blue
Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Loose wire?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
bbradf44
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

connected to what? all the cables are firmly connected to the batteries. light still works, solenoid clicks, motor dont spin

Tags
batteries, charge, power
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO