lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Drum brake shoes

My old shoe were completely gone. Push the drake peddle to the floor and nothing. So I bought new shoes. installed them today and same thing. Push the peddle to the floor and nothing.
I have never replaced the shoes before so I sure I missed something. so I took them off twice to douber check.

What am I missing? They are put on correctly and the auto tighten screw was tighten all the way. I verified that the it did move and auto-adjust. Put the hub on and nothing.

fishb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Drum brake shoes

Have you taken up all the slack in the cables? Are you saying the pedal is applying pressure toe the drums but the drums aren't responding?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did tighten the spring under the brake peddle. It is tight but the brakes seem to not engage. I put both feet on the peddle and push as hard as I can. It does slow it but it takes 20-30 yards to stop.
I should mention that my signature is not valid. I had to revert back to 36v. so it goes about 20mph. with the hill brake on, I can still push it.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
tcascario
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Inside your drum brakes when you take the cover off. look at the bottom there is an adjustment nut that controls how far in your brake pads can move. You can try adjusting this if you already did the cables. I just did mine and had to adjust on one side because i could turn it by hand with the brake on. It should be tight to get the cover back on because it will have more room when it is put back all the way.
tcascario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Owner's, Parts, and Service Manuals:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...g-manuals.html

There's a whole chapter on brakes.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Are the cables frozen?Mine felt like the pedal was moving,but it was actually stretching the cable inside the sheathing,the rear 1/2 of the cable was froze solid.Push the pedal and watch the lever at the wheels,make sure they are both traveling forward on application.The older Marathons used steel-wrapped cables,and they tend to seize-up.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input. I had to take yesterday off to enjoy the 80 degree weather in the boat
I have been over the manual and everything seems correct. Do the new shoes need to be roughed up?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

No the shoes do not need to be roughed up.. I just put new brakes on my cart and had to adjust the nut that was mentioned in the previous thread above.. I also had to add some lithium grease to some of those moving parts in the drum... the it allowed me to make the adjustments i needed.. hope this helps..
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The shoes need to be clean. Any grease may prevent them from doing their job. Also, my 1998 auto-adjusters quit working, so you may need to get them close to perfectly adjusted before reinstalling the drums. If your drums have a ridge, it can be removed with a Dermel to aid in re-installation. Also, check cables and lube if necessary.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
fishb8
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

not going to get to it tonight.yurtle what do you mean by a ridge?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO