lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
dannyvp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default cart check out questions

Ezgo 2002 36 vlt
Ok we decided to have our batteries in our cart checked out and the cart checked out in general before we spent much money on it.
This information is second hand but I want to hear your opinion on it whither this guy is correct or not.
They hooked the cart up to their “machine” and they say our computer I’m assuming controller is bad.
He says no faults as long as we are not moving, but as soon as we move we get a low voltage fault. All the batteries check out.
What we noticed is the cart runs fine, then all of sudden it slows to a crawl. Once you switch it to tow then back to run it will run fine for a while again.
He says $750 for a new “computer” or $250 for a rebuilt one and $30 for a solenoid.

What say you, masters of the cart world?
dannyvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: cart check out questions

Lots of variables here but one thing for sure is you can save a bunch of $ if you can install a new controller and solenoid yourself. PLUS, you can get upgraded aftermarket components for less $.
Does your cart have a rocker switch on the dash to switch direction? This will tell us what drive system you have.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you have a 2002 TXT PDS cart.
Also sounds more like a battery or high current cable issue rather than a controller issue, but it might be the controller.

What is the battery pack voltage when it slows to a crawl?
What are the individual battery voltages?
Do any of the cables, connections or components get hot?

If you install them yourself, you can get an Alltrax DCX400PDS controller and a 200A solenoid for $500.
That will up the speed to the mid 20's and give you more torque.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
dannyvp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is suppose to be a hunting cart not a speed cart :)
He replaced all the cables on the batteries for testing. and saw no issues there.
He also didnt see any voltage problems.
I do not know how he did it, but hes a cart shop and put the batteries on a machine that suppose to draw them down.
He did say he checked the batteries twice to make sure becouse it sounded like a battery.
I do have a txt pds cart.
I would rather have range than speed, we do have some hills also.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If your F/R selector is a rocker switch on the dash and there is a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover, it is a PDS cart.

A PDS cart's don't like to creep along at slow speeds, so they are more suited for on-road than off-road, but they do okay on hills.
If you are running taller than stock tires (18" is stock), you are losing torque and you need to upgrade the controller and solenoid, and the high current cables should be at least 4Ga (all 10 of them)

My objective is range rather than speed or torque, and you can see what I'm doing in my signature line.
I'll end up with more speed and torque than stock, but I'll be carrying about 27% more energy with me, so my travel distance will be extended by about 1/3.
Most of my travel is on roads and trails, but I go cross country some and there are hills around here.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
dannyvp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ahhhh i see. I do have the rocker switch, and the tow switch.
I also have larger knobby tires and small lift on the cart.
Would you say he is correct and the controller is bad?
Can i rebuild it? Or can i buy a rebuilt upgraded one?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Avoid the rebuilt controllers for hunting buggies in particular.

You will need a 500a control at 36v or a 400 amp control at 42-48v with a HD solenoid and 4g cables throughout the cart. This is a minimum.

Consider going to an aftermarket hi torque motor and 500a control/ 400a solenoid/ 2g cables for the best results with this cart in the woods.
I hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
dannyvp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Would yall assume he is correct, that his "machine" is correct and i have a bad controller?

I dont know how trust worthy this process is. By that i mean his diagonis machine.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I no longer service carts, except family carts. I still have my $1000 Lester battery analysis drawdown machine and my expensive refractometers (flukes etc) for battery testing. These systems in the right hands are very reliable tools.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
dannyvp
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thats what he mentoned, a battery drawdown machine.
He said if he put the controller on and it didnt fix it that he would take it back off no charge.

If im going to be buying a controller, what should i be looking for?

Tags
36vlt, ezgo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO