lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
rons
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2002 ezgo 36v electrical issue new batteries hooked up wrong and i blew something?

Ok so lets start i am a dumb rearend i was replacing all my batteries on my golf cart a 2002 ezgo txt pds cart and hooked them up wrong when i conected the batteries wrong my my solenoid made a poping noise and there was a burning smell and a little smoke I immediately unhooked the wires and then pulled of the cover on the controller and solenoid and i started to check all the wires going into the solenoid they look fine the plastic was slightly melted on the red wire going to the first (large post) of the solenoid it looks like any wire that was leaning up against and touching the solenoid had a small burn on the plastic coating of the wire there was no wires that were completly burened through to the wire. So i re-routed and re-conected the battery cables corectly and the cart wont do anything at all.

Because i suck at electricial i decieded to read up on what i could on the forum and test it. Here is what i did
Quick side note my reverse buzzer has also stopped working so i cant run a pds diagnostic check it did work prior to me hooking up the batterys incorrectly.

Here is what i found i tested the batteries and have 37.9volts and at the solenoid i have 37.9volts on the battery side post and 37.3volts on the controll box side post i also checked the volts at the controll box and i am showing 37.3volts at the top b+ post of the controll box and 37.9 at the micro switch at the pedal this switch is also clicking when the pedal is pressed and the other side of the switch is @ 0.00 volts and when the pedal is pressed it goes to 37.9volts.

And i also have no noise at all comming from the solenoid (should there be a clicking noise is it stuck open). I have also checked the diode on the solenoid at the battery side it is 37.9 volts and after the diode on the controll box side it is 37.3volts. I am unsure what i blew up and dont know where to start solenoid ? controll box? micro switch at pedal? the forward /reverse switch? Motor?

Any help would be great before i waste $ replacing parts that dont need to be re-placed.

Thanks,
Ron
rons is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Kudaman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2002 ezgo 36v electrical issue new batteries hooked up wrong and i blew something

I don't know the electric carts that well but did you check your fuses?
Kudaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
rons
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 ezgo 36v electrical issue new batteries hooked up wrong and i blew something

where would fuses be i dont see any fuses anywhere?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

What kind of ezgo do you have? is it a dcs? txt? etc..
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
rons
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 2002 TXT PDS cart
Old 04-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The voltages you are reading at the solenoid's battery side and controller side main terminals is about right.
BTW: That is a resistor rather than a diode. The diode, if one is installed fir between the small solenoid terminals.

-------------
The first problem to fix is the solenoid not clicking (activating), which is done by the controller.

Jack rear wheels off ground and put rear of half ton cart on jack-stands so it doesn't run over somebody or something while troubleshooting.

Using a DVM (Digital Volt Meter), measure and record battery pack voltage to the nearest 1/10 volt. (IE: Fully charged 36V battery pack will be 38.2V or slightly above.)

Leave DVM negative test lead attached to battery pack's main negative terminal.

With Run/Tow = Run, Keyswitch = ON, F/R = F and Pedal depressed until solenoid clicks, measure voltage at: (While Plugs are inserted into Jacks)
J1 Pins 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 & 9
J3 Pins 1, 2, 3 & 4
J4 Pins 1 & 2

Every one of the 13 test points listed should have FULL battery pack voltage.

If any are less than full battery pack voltage, fix the switch and/or wires attached to that switch. (Pin numbers and switches shown on attached schematic)

If you have B+ at all of those test points and the solenoid contacts aren't closed, (IE: Same voltage on both big terminals), either the controller or solenoid is bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - Solenoid activation traced.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
rons
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok going to test the pins on the controller now thank you so much for the info
Old 04-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
rons
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok Johnnieb here is the test results

batteries are @37.9 v

at batteries side solenoid 37.9v on controller side of solenoid 37.2v

The J1 pins are as follows
pin 1 37.5v
pin 3 37.6v
pin 4 37.6v
pin 5 37.6v
pin 6 37.9v
pin 8 37.6v
pin 9 0.00v this is the keyswitch correct?

I also pulled out the key switch and checked the voltage there. This is what i found on the key switch there are two electrical imputs the one that has a single wire was @37.9v the other that has two wires attached one that goes over to the digital voltage meter gauge was @37.5v.

So it looks like my key switch needs to be replaced?

Here is the rest of the test results.

J3 pins 1-4 all @37.9 volts

J4 pins
pin 1 37.7v
pin 2 37.8v

Thanks for all the help hopefully i can get the cart up and running soon so my wife will leave me alone for goofing it up.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
subby44
Gone Wild
Club Car

Rons, Did you or have you checked the reed switch?
subby44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
rons
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It looks as if there is no reed switch on my cart should i install one when i get it working again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO