lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Richard Ducharme
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default FNR switch wires voltages, whacky

Hi - I have a 2004 TXT which quit after some surging, then go, then stop.

I was checking the FNR switch and it didn't seem to have the voltages we should have: Meter neg to battery Neg, wires removed from switch, I get 38V to middle grey wire, 38V to REV wire, and 0V to FWD wire.

I thought I should get 38V to grey middle and 0V to FWD and REV?

With wires attached to switch, I still get 38V to REV and Middle terminal and nothing to FWD - no matter which way the rocker switch is rocked?

Additionally, I get a very loud REV buzz in REV mode, and a lesser buzz even when switch is detached from wires - when in TOW from the battery gage.

Last edited by Richard Ducharme; 04-23-2013 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: added info
Richard Ducharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: FNR switch wires voltages, whacky

Sounds like you have a 2004 TXT PDS (Rocker switch on dash for F/R and Run/Tow switch on controller cover)

Also sounds like you might have two problems. Bad controller and bad F/R switch.

With the wires off the switch, there should be B+ (battery pack voltage) on the gray wire only.
It is the source for the voltage that is applied to either the Green or Orange wire for the Forward or Reverse signal to the controller.

When the wires are connected, you should have voltage on either the F or the R switch terminal normally, but with voltage being present on the R wire, I would think you would see voltage on the gray wire and R wire with R selected and voltage on all three wires with F selected.

Pull the switch wires and measure the continuity between the center contact and top contact and bottom contact in the various switch positions. It is a SPDT/Center-Off switch.

There should be no sound from the beeper when the Run/Tow switch is in the Tow position.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Richard Ducharme
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you - I'll check it out again.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Richard Ducharme
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: FNR switch wires voltages, BLOWN FUSE TOO?

The switch is bad. The thing that stumps me is that I have 38V coming to the grey(middle wire) and the green wire (REV wire) -this should not be.

What can cause this , what should I check?

The diagnostic system: key off, switch to RUN, FNR switch Rev to NUT 5 times, and I get no beeps??

Truth is I may have had only one problem, BUT I connected the KEY switch up wrong - I put the RED on the middle where the white goes and blew the top most fuse in the car, which I replaced. DID I BLOW SOMETHING?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

To put into Diag mode, you go from Neutral to Reverse 5 times rather than going from Reverse to Neutral 5 times.

Having voltage on the green wire when it is unplugged from FNR switch is definitely a problem and it most likely means the controller is bad.

With a single exception, anytime anything sparks, there is a good possibility of taking the controller out.

The single exception is connecting the final cable connecting the battery pack. If the pack has been disconnected for more than a few minutes, you will get a spark due to the filter capacitors in the controller discharging over time and recharging the instant the circuit is completed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Richard Ducharme
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you. Dick
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO