lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS Controller problem

It seems they issued both the 300 and 350 amp depending upon the year. So yeah my 275a specs were based upon the series cart which had the smaller control, possible because they simply produced more torque with less. The analysis still holds true.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
It seems they issued both the 300 and 350 amp depending upon the year. So yeah my 275a specs were based upon the series cart which had the smaller control, possible because they simply produced more torque with less. The analysis still holds true.
The analysis is spot on.

If you put tires taller than stock (18") on a cart, you lose torque and to regain the lost torque, so you have to increase the number of Amps the controller will deliver to the motor or the cart is all show and no go. (There are other ways to increase torque, but those are outside the scope of this thread.)

-----------
I probably wouldn't have said anything, except I discovered the stock controller might have been 350A, so installing a 300A one could be a step in the wrong direction.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #13
chriskent85
Gone Wild

so your saying that some of the PDS's come with a 300 and 350 amp controllers? not 275?
chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Yes.

Not sure when they went from 300A to 350A, but it is listed as 350A in the manual I posted, which is for model years 2001 and up.

This is speculation, but I believe the Alltrax DCX300 was brought out as a direct replacement for the DCS (Curtis 1206SX) controller, which EZGO lists as a 300A controller on their website. The DCX400 and larger controllers were for DCS carts with tall tires.

When the PDS replaced the DCS, Alltrax designed an adapter so the DCX family of controllers would work in PDS carts. That means it is possible to install a 300A controller in a cart originally equipped with a 350A controller.

With stock height tires, the driver might not notice much difference, but with 23" tires, it will probably be very noticeable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
chriskent85
Gone Wild

The stock controller IS a 300amp. I guess Ezgo offered a 350amp but that was not installed in most of the PDS's. The guy at Alltrax said that it will not overhead due to the larger capacitors that they use.

chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:54 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It just depends upon what you want out of the cart performance wise. A stock 300a control will make the cart go. I think the question has been will it ALLOW the cart to perform like it looks. You might say 'wait. what?'

That's right - lifted carts look like they should go off the road out in the woods. People buy them because they look off road capable. I'm sure the sellers don't discourage this impression even if the cart has only a stock size control and a bigger tire which is making a 20% reduction in torque - I get a call a week from somebody who bought a cart that LOOKED like it should go off the road but won't.

That is why I don't suggest 300a controls except for gramma's cart running around the trailer park.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO