lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
gruelens
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV rear end oil fill

I have a 2008 electric EZGO RXV. The rear differential oil fill/check plug is on a near horizontal sloping surface.

How do you get the oil from a quart bottle into hole under the differential?

Is 25oz. oil and 2oz. friction modifier the correct fill amount after completely draining the rear end?
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: RXV rear end oil fill

Yes correct level. You cannot add that much oil through the plug in the pan. Some models had a fill plug on the side of the aluminum housing, some did not. The only easy ways to get the correct amount in the axle are to first measure out the fluid quantity, then add that amount through the fill plug (if present), or fill through an axle hole after the axle shaft is removed.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #3
gruelens
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
then add that amount through the fill plug (if present), or fill through an axle hole after the axle shaft is removed.
There is no fill plug on my 08 RXV, just the rubber plug at a very difficult angle to pour into. More info on what is involved in removing axle shaft would be appreciated.

Amazing that would be the procedure for a 5 year scheduled service.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
There is no fill plug on my 08 RXV, just the rubber plug at a very difficult angle to pour into. More info on what is involved in removing axle shaft would be appreciated.

Amazing that would be the procedure for a 5 year scheduled service.
Jack up axle and place on jackstands. Remove pan and drain oil. Clean and replace diff cover whit light application of silicone to sealing surface. Remove 4 lunguts from wheel. Remove wheel. Remove cotter-pin and nut in middle of hub. Remove hub. Remove snapring behind hub. Place hub and nut back on axleshaft, doesnt need to be very tight (its just gonna be a handle to assist in axle removal). Pull hub until whole axleshaft slides out. Add oil through new hole into axle. Re-installation is reverse of removal.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I know next to nothing about servicing RXV differentials, but fluid transfer pumps similar to the one shown in the link, do a pretty good job of getting oil into places you cannot pour it into.
http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accessories-36671-Pennzoil-Transfer/dp/B002M589TA/ref=pd_sim_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=021RVP42V3N321C4D6WV http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Accessories-36671-Pennzoil-Transfer/dp/B002M589TA/ref=pd_sim_auto_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=021RVP42V3N321C4D6WV

Plus there are several other designs that do roughly the same thing. All I'm suggesting is using some type of fluid transfer pump.

The screw-on top of the gallon size doesn't fit the bottles the oil I use comes in, but neither does the quart sized and the gallon sized pump puts out about an ounce per stroke while the quart sized only puts out about 1/4 or 1/3 ounce per stroke, so I just duct tape it in place and try not to tip the bottle over.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

The "fill plug" on the bottom of the pan is too low to allow 27 oz of fluid to be pumped in, unless the cart were laying on its side, its just a matter with that pesky gravity .
Old 03-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The "fill plug" on the bottom of the pan is too low to allow 27 oz of fluid to be pumped in, unless the cart were laying on its side, its just a matter with that pesky gravity .
Now I know.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #8
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

add correct fluid amount through vent in top of axle shaft.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
gruelens
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
add correct fluid amount through vent in top of axle shaft.
Yes I do have the vent on top of axle. How do you gain access and open the vent?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

One word, "airlock".
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO