lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #1
wambajamba
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1998 TXT need more speed, torque

I am looking to upgrade my motor but want to be sure I am getting the right one for my cart.

Our village allows carts on all roads. I bought my 1st cart and assumed it would go about 20mph. I was wrong and my fault for not asking enough questions. I already upgraded (using mechanic) with full LED light and turn signal kit, rear flip seat, and new tires. Just not going fast enough, roads in my village are relatively flat, top speed about 13 mph and on the small hills we have i noticed slower. I would like to go about 20mph. My mechanic says i can do that with upgraded motor, he says DCS (DCF?) with EZGO P/N: 7176 will do it and he will sell me the motor for $625 and install for about $50. I want to do independent research to know this is what I need and a decent price. I have been looking on line and cannot find the P/N 7176 so I am unsure what I am really looking for.

My cart says EZGO Freedom on it, and the SN is 1100814, with MFG G298. I was told it is 36V.

Any assistance is helping me identify the proper upgraded motor is appreciated.
wambajamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 TXT need more speed, torque

Which drive system do you have? see chart
For performance guidelines go here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/tech-help-upgrades.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo-guide-#2.jpg (139.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #3
Helirich
Gone Wild

Scotty has you headed down the right path. I suspect you will need both a motor and controller. Scotty can advise you that way. I will give you advise on a personal nature.

If you are driving around at 13 mph, 20 seems like racing for awhile. But after a bit it won't seem so fast. I guess some will say whatever speed you have, you'll want more. In my case, around the mid 20s, you will not turn sharp because the cart might flip. So that feels fast enough to me. All I'm saying is do the upgrades with a look to the future. You will probably want 25 mph or there abouts before its all said and done.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
wambajamba
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Its for sure not the one one the far right. I think its the one on the far left, I dont see the orange warning label. Where is/would that orange warning label (run-tow?) be installed? under the seat or on the dash. It is not on the dash.

I am away from the cart just now, let me check when i get back home and i will find out for sure.

thank you for your quick reply!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I can see in your avatar the lever F&R, so either series or has run/tow switch on controller cover under the seat = DCS.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your serial number returns what is listed below when entered on the EZGO website: https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html
Make: TXT
Type: Electric 36 V
Model: TXT with Lights
Year: 1998

That indicates you have a Series Drive and 13 MPH is typical with stock height (18" tall) tires and 36V battery pack.

If your mechanic is suggesting an AMD 7176, your cart will about about 17 MPH on 18" tall tires at 36V. You may want to look at a AMD 7126 motor, which would up the speed into the 20 MPH range.

All carts slow down going uphill and with a rear seat and 4 people on-board, your cart will slow considerably going uphill, so you may want to explore all options available before deciding which motor and what other upgrades are needed to get the performance you desire.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #7
wambajamba
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

thank you for the information!! much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
wambajamba
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

my mechanic agreed that it is a series drive (far left using the image) but he said something that I have an older/shortly used controller that EZGO only used for a few years because was causing problems, and there is only one upgrade for "series" motor he can put in that is compatible (the 7176). He did say because I replaced my rims from stock to 10" rims that I will realize close to 20mph because of that.

I am interested to know if that more powerful 7126 is an option, he says not to his knowledge and I am here to try to figure out if he is right....

I will go to the AMD site and see if I can decipher it....
Old 03-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wambajamba View Post
my mechanic agreed that it is a series drive (far left using the image) but he said something that I have an older/shortly used controller that EZGO only used for a few years because was causing problems, and there is only one upgrade for "series" motor he can put in that is compatible (the 7176). He did say because I replaced my rims from stock to 10" rims that I will realize close to 20mph because of that.

I am interested to know if that more powerful 7126 is an option, he says not to his knowledge and I am here to try to figure out if he is right....

I will go to the AMD site and see if I can decipher it....
You mechanic must not be very familiar with EZGO carts.

The Series controller (Curtis 1206) was used from 1993 through the last year EZGO produced a 36V cart.

They introduced a SepEx drive in 1995 and it was called a DCS, which used a Curtis 1206MX controller. This was the controller that was the problem child and only was used until model year 1999. In 2000, EZGO introduced the PDS, which uses a Curtis 1206SX and stayed in production until EZGO stopped making 36V Sepex drive carts.

In a nutshell, there are dozens of motors that will fit your EZGO series drive cart and there are nearly as many that will fit EZGO SepEx drive carts, both DCS and PDS.

---------
Also, Rim diameter has nothing to do with cart speed. It is tire diameter (height) that matters.

Stock tire height is 18". You can install tire up to 20" in height without lifting the frame and body off the axles for tire clearance.
With 20" tires, you get an 11% increase in speed mathematically, but lose 10% of the torque the motor produces.

You will need more than the stock 275A controller to obtain optimal performance from either a AMD 7126 or a AMD 7176, or any other aftermarket motor.

Here is some good reading about upgrading carts: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/tech-help-upgrades.html
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #10
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Listen to Scotty and Johnnie. I have the same cart, 98 series. You can spend that $700 on a motor and still be disappointed. Or, you can spend a like amount on a new controller, solenoid, cables, F&R switch and a motor upgrade. It will run closer to $1000, but it most certainly won't be a disappointment. I opted for the EMP two speed motor. I sent them my original, they rebuilt it, converted it to a two speed, repaired a few weak points and sent it back, (about $300 for the repairs/upgrade). In the speed mode, it will do 20, maybe a bit more. In the torque mode, it will do 17 or so. But, it will tow anything I have put behind it. If you intend on carrying extra people I would strongly suggest this motor or one like it. There are several motor builders available.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO