lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #21
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: Cant find the knocking

That spot where you're pointing is the common fail point on these motors that I was talking about: the rod works loose and eventually comes off. The KF82 motors I've seen usually have tiny bit of play between the crank/rod and seem ok, so yours may be ok. But you'll need to find out what's making your knock if that's not it. Since I still haven't heard the knock it's hard for me to make a judgement call.

Good to see that your oil splasher is still intact. Is your cart lifted? When I lifted mine it put the engine cradle up at an angle (higher in front/lower in rear). If the angle is significant it can affect your oiling, as the oil in the sump will be concentrated towards the rear of the sump, and could affect the engine's ability to oil itself. I used a piece of steel to lower the front of the motor and level out the engine cradle.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #22
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

My cart is lifted 6" with 22" tires and from what your saying you seem to be right on point it is hard to get t to make noise with the case together. How ever when the case is split the only knocking I can get is from the fly wheel side which could be just because there is only one side holding the shaft. Seeing as how it seems to be a common fail point what would you recommend replacing since I'm in there I Don ft want to have to take this apart again if I don't have to. If you could kindly give me a parts list to order and where you would recommend getting it from that would be greatly appreciated. If I replace the fail point them that can eliminate the motor from the source of my noise with will then narrow it down to the clutch I would say. I tried to load the video again and it still won't load
hondarider203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #23
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well I gave up on trying to post the video here so it is on you tube under "club car not sounding good"
Old 03-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #24
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Here you go!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #25
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks lockman
Old 03-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #26
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Listened to your video, it does sound very much like the noise I heard on mine a few months before it blew (the cart belonged to my father-in-law at the time, the blown engine was how it ended up becoming mine). The noise just kept getting louder and louder...then BOOM!. Yours doesn't sound like it's about to blow just yet, if you were to run it like that I'd give it a few months before it finally lets loose.

Since you've got the engine out you may as well pull that crank and check the journal for out-of-round. Just remove the rod bolts and you should be able to slide the rod out of the way to get the crank out. If you're going to be putting it back together just leave the rod/piston in the jug (or else you'll need a ring compressor to put the piston back in. If you don't have the tools or ability to mic that crank, any machine shop should be able to check it out for you.

If you feel that the rod is too loose and you're wanting to go ahead and fix the crank/rod connection, you have three options:
  • The first option is just to purchase a new crank and a new rod. The rod is not very expensive but the crank is pricey $$$...last time I checked, a new crank costs around $400-$600.
  • The second option is to buy a new rod, then send your rod and old crank down to J&M Golf Carts in Georgia and have them machined together. I had looked into doing this on my motor but ended up finding a complete motor before I did it. When I called J&M they quoted me around $200 for the work.

Here's the website. Call the guy there and he'll tell you what he can do:

http://www.jandmgolfcarts.com/
  • The third option is to get lucky like I did and stumble across a complete KF82 motor that someone has for sale. They can be hard to find, but lots of guys here do big block swaps in carts with perfectly good motors, and every once in a while someone posts one in the "For Sale" section. A buddy of mine here in OH just bought one a few months ago for a spare, it was shipped from a guy in I think VA. Or you could swap for a different motor altogether.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #27
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

J&M also does a $600 exchange for a good, rebuildable core engine (which you seem to have).

http://www.jandmgolfcarts.com/engines.htm
Old 03-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #28
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not to sound dumb but I can't get crank shaft out? I took the but off the fly wheel but nothing want to move suggestions??
Old 03-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #29
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

Nope got it nothing seems out of round how ever this is where the shavings are coming from do you think I would be OK with just a new connecting rod??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160324_183152.jpg (146.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20160324_183103.jpg (212.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-24-2016, 06:25 PM   #30
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Like I said, if it's out-of-round, you won't be able to see it. Before I got my complete motor I tried a new rod on the old crank because, just like you, I thought it looked ok. But it knocked just like the old one...and the new rod I had bought was ruined. I wouldn't try it. I'd get a machinist to look it over first.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car