lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
oldgrape
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Wiring 48v reducer and accessories on 87 Upgraded Marathon

Howdy All. I've been reading the threads on this task and am still some what confused. I bought a 20Amp 48v to 12v reducer, fuse block, toggle switch for lights, and grounding block. I also bought the EZGO universal 3 position ignition switch. I want to wire my lights and radio so they only come on when I turn the ignition to the on/ACC position. I have read that using a relay between the fuse block and ignition switch is preferable. I also have seen many posts of installing a switch between the reducer and the battery pack. Not sure what I would use for that last one.

Some of the previous threads have seemed to say skip the reducer and just wire the key switch accessory lug straight to the batter and then through a relay to the fuse block and that would only be 12v going to the fuse block.

Can someone provide a link to a wiring diagram that shows all of that or provide some advice on how to do that? Also do I need the reducer if I go through the switch.
oldgrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring 48v reducer and accessories on 87 Upgraded Marathon

The way I understand is that if you tap into the right wires you don't need the reducer. The negative I have heard from one way (maybe the main way or only way to do it) is that the two batteries that you tap to get 12v will be drained just a bit more than the others. Now if you don't use much radio or lights that's not a big deal.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #3
crash test dummy

here is diagram with out a relay

as for the switch from batteries to reducer it is to shut off reducer as it draws power
if you go to the acc/on terminal of your key switch you don't need the second power cut off

you have a 48v 1987 cart ?
what batteries ... 6v or 8v ?

if you have 8v batteries then you can not use 2 batteries to make 12v
Old 04-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
oldgrape
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

CTD thanks for the diagram. I upgraded the cart from a 36V coil to 48v solid state with parts from ScottyB. I have 8v batteries (x6). So if I understand correctly, by using the ignition "ACC" pole on the new ignition switch I bought, if the key is in the off position or just the on position the reducer creates no draw on the battery pack. If I turn the key to On/ACC then power is allowed to go to the reducer and then fuse block, correct?
Old 04-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #5
crash test dummy

correct
Old 04-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
oldgrape
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks all.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
oldgrape
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

sorry one more question. Will I loose power when I'm in neutral wired this way?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO