lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2016, 06:56 PM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: EMP Motor

The field map for my Alltrax is not human readable. I have looked at it with an editor.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #12
Helirich
Gone Wild

So JohnnieB, Are you saying that a DCX controller could have multible field maps for the same motor, but a XCT will only have one? That would make sense because when I asked for a map for my motor, the only question from Alltrax was "what motor". I sappose the rpm imput on a PDS could help also.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #13
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Johnnie's pretty much spot on with that explanation. One thing to add however to the lower field current. While typically lowering it produces more rpm the result is a loss in torque possibly to the point where the motor is unable to provide traction under loaded conditions so take caution there as well. As for the heating..most motor manufacturers generate a plot that characterises the motor. The plot usually shows the maximum limitations not always the peak efficency. Operating current ratios below this curve results in poor commutation between brushes and armatuer stack causing excessive arcing resulting in excellerated brush wear and overheating.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
The field map for my Alltrax is not human readable. I have looked at it with an editor.
Thanks for that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
So JohnnieB, Are you saying that a DCX controller could have multible field maps for the same motor, but a XCT will only have one? That would make sense because when I asked for a map for my motor, the only question from Alltrax was "what motor". I sappose the rpm imput on a PDS could help also.
Yes, the DCX could have multiple field maps for the same motor, and perhaps there should be, but that doesn't mean multiple DCX field maps actually exist for the same motor. From what I can tell, only one field map exists for each make/model motor and there is some overlap with the same field map being used for more than one make/model motor.

The XCT could also have multiple field maps for the same motor, but it might be smart enough to adjust to differing applications and one may suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
Johnnie's pretty much spot on with that explanation. One thing to add however to the lower field current. While typically lowering it produces more rpm the result is a loss in torque possibly to the point where the motor is unable to provide traction under loaded conditions so take caution there as well. As for the heating..most motor manufacturers generate a plot that characterises the motor. The plot usually shows the maximum limitations not always the peak efficency. Operating current ratios below this curve results in poor commutation between brushes and armatuer stack causing excessive arcing resulting in excellerated brush wear and overheating.
A Field Weakening Limitations Map appears to plot the motor manufacturer's lowest acceptable efficiency points, so peak efficiency would be somewhere above the minimum values plotted. If you run the motor at values below the plotted minimums, severe overheating can occur.

The field map I'm running does weaken the field considerably below the motor manufacturer's recommendations and my motor does run hot, so it won't last as long as it would if it ran cooler, but I accept that fact as an unavoidable consequence for obtaining a higher RPM from the motor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #15
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

EMP motor was shipped today...should have it by end of week.

Can't wait to get everything installed.

Should get the field maps in a day or so...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #16
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quick update...

Got the EMP motor today and had someone install the motor.

I should be getting the cart back tomorrow... Will let everyone know how things go with the EMP motor.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #17
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

After almost 4 weeks without my cart, finally got it back today.

The 3 month old DCX controller had fried and Alltrax covered it under warranty with a new XCT400 controller.

So, since I was going to put a new controller on, i thought let's upgrade the old motor on my DCS cart since it was all apart.

Contacted EMP and got an aftermarket motor built for my cart. After all the details I provided EMP about my cart and requesting 23 mph... they targeted 24mph for me.

Used GPS today and the cart ran at 23-24mph. I guess EMP knows what they are doing.

The 23-24mph is with the turbo turned off.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO