lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
ezgogreen
Not Yet Wild

Default battery type/required cranking amps? txt 800

Hello guys,
Joined forum to see if I can get a little input.

A family member acquired an old 1988 EZ-GO GAS 3 wheeled cart txt 800
I found a manual online for 89+ I was able to use it to wire up the cart.
It now will turn over when in reverse or forward with key on and depressing pedal. With spark plug out engine will spin... adding plug and checking for spark by leaving plug in wire and grounding plug I can see a slight spark. Also when wiring a new coil and ignitor was installed.

When the plug is in the engine spins very slow. In searching the forum I have found other similar threads. I have cleaned up connections including grounds.
I have asked the family member to put battery on charger overnight. At this point I want to rule out weak battery. I also believe that improving a couple of the main connectors is in order.
We are using a battery from a zeroturn lawn mower. Would this be adequate for the robbins engine? what is recommended battery for this vehicle?

Will weak battery also affect the amount of spark. (thinking if the engine was turning over properly I may see a stronger spark)

Thanks for any input you folks may have.
We have made progress today it now turns over and there is some spark.

-Ed

Last edited by ezgogreen; 06-06-2016 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: added to title
ezgogreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery type/required cranking amps? txt 800

A fully charged battery shows 12.7 volts. Put a meter across the battery terminals, and step on the pedal.

The voltage will drop. If it goes down to 9.6 volts or less, the battery failed a load test.

You could also put jumper cables from your car to see if it turns over.

I would like to see pictures of the cart, engine, and exhaust to determine what year it is.
You could also see if there is a data tag on the passenger side by the cup holders. Take a picture of that too.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
ezgogreen
Not Yet Wild

Was going to try to jump from car before I left but we could not find any cables :(
Thank you for the reply...

i will post up pics/info with an update tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
ezgogreen
Not Yet Wild

Whoops title should have read GXT-800
Old 06-08-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
ezgogreen
Not Yet Wild

Hello I did not get a chance to do anything yesterday however uncle said he tried with fresh battery and had same results... "slow cranking"

He passed along info on cart that i have attached. Not sure why some pics are upside down, I even rotated and re-uploaded with same results.

Initially he said he had the starter/generator was bench tested and the generator portion needed repair. So... Yesterday he took the unit to the shop for a rebuild. He will mention of the slow cranking so that the unit can be looked over more closely when in for repair.

If possible please advise on trouble shooting per information for next steps...
Note: I took drive belt off for tests.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1_r.jpg (123.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image2.JPG (104.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image3.JPG (121.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image5.JPG (95.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image6.JPG (140.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
ezgogreen
Not Yet Wild

Working on ezgo today. Put starter generator on now that it is back. Same results, while trying to turn over I can also hear a slight click at solonoid.
I jumped solonoid with 2 screw drivers and the engine will turn over normal. Going to put a new solonoid on. Spark still does not appear as strong as I am use to seeing. But... I think I am getting closer. Tried shooting a little starting fluid in while jumping off solonoid to see if I could get a little something to pop. Nothing yet. Also put some penetrating oil and have muffler bolts set to loosen up muffler pipe if needed.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
ezgogreen
Not Yet Wild

Well after a little more reading I guess I'm not going to go with my original thought of throwing an automotive solenoid on since I've read that they're slightly different (continuous) I'm just going to clean up all the posts put it back on and I may have to figure out where to get a golf cart solonoid if cleaning up all the connections and putting electrical grease on connections doesn't help.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
ezgogreen
Not Yet Wild

Fixed a few connections, and put back together... Seems to turn over faster but only when jumping from the solonoid.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
ezgogreen
Not Yet Wild

Ha after seeing another wire and tracing diagram found That it also needed to go on solonoid. Now it turns over fine. Also learned you only get spark by depressing the pedal. Put some starting fluid in and got a few pops and she wants to start. Going up for gas and oil. Going to put oil/gas mix directly in tank for initial test run!
Old 06-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #10
ezgogreen
Not Yet Wild

No fuel from pump.... Cleaned out tank put in new fuel lines and filters. Pulled fuel pump took apart and cleaned, now have fuel leaving fuel pump. Still looks like there's no fuel in carb. Plant to pull carb and look at tomorrow.

If cleaning does not work what are the available options? How difficult to rebuild is there a place that does this reasonable or can carbs be purchased.

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO