lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #11
Kevgrn114
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO sb50 to newer charger

Ok, well here is the latest. Opened the charger and did some YouTube diagnosis. It should work.. so I clipped a test wire from the inhibit wire to negative. Plugged it in and the cart started charging about 23 amps.. so I disconnect and place a permanent wire from inhibit to negative inside the charger. But now it's not working.. I check the 50 amp fuse and it is dead. Grrr.. don't know what happened there. So being impatient I bypass the fuse rather than ordering a new one. This time when I plug it in it short and sparks and melts the sb50 on the cart and the charger... grrrrr.. ok, so now I'm in the market for two new sb50's and some fuses to continue checking things. Till then it's the ol one by one trickle charger... :-(
Kevgrn114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2016, 10:35 PM   #12
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutant View Post
red wire should be the blade switch-you dont need it...i cut mine out of the loop and everything is fine...the blade switch is a safety device to keep you from driving off with the charger plugged in-so run the charge cord through the steering wheel and you are good!
Nah, that's wrong..... We are talking about the charger handle, not the "reed switch" in the port on the cart, right? (reed switch is operated by a magnet in the charger handle).

The third wire in the charger handle is for the charger to monitor actual battery voltage at the charge port not the distorted view seen at the charger end of the heavy gage wires (which experience voltage drop across the length of the wires & terminals at the charge port since they pass all the amps). It also allows the charger to turn off just before the large terminals break connection if the charger were unplugged from cart while still charging (reducing wear on the large terminals caused by losing connection while at full power). The small wire in the charger handle can be bypassed by connecting it to the same terminal it normally touches in the charger handle when inserted in the charge port.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
Kevgrn114
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, makes sense.. I'm thinking one of the diodes may have shorted. Got to get some more parts and do some more testing. At least I know how it's supposed to work now.. :-)
Old 10-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #14
Kevgrn114
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, got my new charger parts.. two new fuses two new rectifier diodes and two new sb50 connectors, since the other one melted.. :-).

Got it all back together and connected it to the cart. No charging started... so I jumped the inhibit wire to the negative as it is designed to do with the newer charger. It started charging!! Yay!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO