lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
BHTtech
Not Yet Wild

Default 81 ezgo 2stroke carb issues

Hi all, I have a problem with an 81 2pg. I've replaced the crank seals and it will start but, won't rev up to high rpm's. I've cleaned the carb and am running a straight line for fuel from an extra tank since the fuel pump is trashed. I want to get the rpm's up before buying a new fuel pump. I can't determine if it is starving for fuel or air. There doesn't seem to be any fuel mixture screws like on other 2-stroke engines. I have the fuel pump hole plugged and don't have oil injection system hooked up. I'd appreciate any help someone can give on this since I'm running out of ideas. Thanks
BHTtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 81 ezgo 2stroke carb issues

After reading through your other threads, it looks like you are back to the original problem.

You said that the oil injection is not connected. Did you remove the banjo fitting from the intake manifold, and plug it air tight with a 6mm screw?

I don't really like the idea of a straight pipe on the exhaust. Also have concerns about gravity feed fuel tank.

125 compression is great. Have you looked into the exhaust port to see if the piston is in backwards? Move the piston up, and down while looking. If you see a square hole in the side of the piston from the exhaust port, that's bad.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
BHTtech
Not Yet Wild

Cart Around, thanks for your reply. I don't have the banjo plugged but it is capped off. The muffler is hooked up now. I don't think this machine has ever been apart so I think the piston is right. I did pull the intake and checked the reed valve and it looks OK too. I just finished pulling the carb again and cleaning every hole. It cranks up pretty quick but just won't rev to high rpms.
I will plug the banjo tomorrow and re-install carb and try it again. Just don't see anything obvious that would hold it back. after reading some other posts I adjusted the fuel mixture but still no help. any other ideas that I might try?
Thanks
Old 10-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
BHTtech
Not Yet Wild

cart around, ive made some progress since yesterday! I have plugged the banjo hole (with bolt & sealant) and adjusted the fuel mixture. It will now rev to top rpms but only when I seal off the vent tube on top of carb. Could the float be set wrong and it's starving for fuel? It returns to sluggish-chugging when I remove my finger from the hose. or, is there something else I've overlooked? with my aux fuel tank(higher than engine) I have a full 1/4 inch flow of fuel to the carb. am I assuming that this will fill bowl fast enough and just need to replace the fuel pump and it will work? thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #5
BHTtech
Not Yet Wild

update: after reading several posts here I think this may not be the engine that came in this cart. I've seen references to a "mikuni" carb that was on 88 models and this is what it has. anyone have ideas why it will rev with the vent closed off? won't run long like that but it will rev to max for a little while. could the fuel level be too low and closing the vent makes the bowl fill further?
Old 10-27-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

https://www.golfcartking.com/ezgo-19...r-2-cycle-2pg/

Compare the two carburetors on this page. You will see that the 81 carb has a horizontal choke plate. The 88 has a vertical choke plate. Which one do you have?

That vent lets air out while the float bowl fills. I have no idea why blocking it would allow better fuel flow. On second thought, maybe I do. When riding dirt bikes, when we would run out of gas the mixture would lean out, and the RPMs would increase just before the bike died.

I wonder if by blocking the vent, you are losing fuel flow which would lean out your mixture.

All of that is a long way of saying that you may be running rich, and on the verge of flooding.

New carbs on E bay are 20 bucks.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
BHTtech
Not Yet Wild

cart around, thanks for your help! I do have the horizontal choke plate so I guess that it is an 81 . I remembered the owner saying some parts were interchanged and just got to thinking. anyway, you may be correct that it is leaning out when the vent is plugged. although, it doesn't sound like an engine that's running out of fuel. you can rev it up several times and then it kinda dies.
there is some vacuum on the vent tube when I release it. I'll shop for another carb. thanks
Old 10-27-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I would install a fuel pump before buying a new carburetor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO