lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #11
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Default Re: Batteries seem to be failing prematurely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
How much has the cart been used in the last 13 months and what do you use if for mostly?
Maybe a good point? Is the use every day or once every few weeks, once every 6 weeks?

But shouldn't matter if the batteries have been maintained & charged after each use.
13 month batteries should be good to go for another several yrs. The batteries are name brand and check within a few one hundreds of a volt between each other.

The individual battery voltage is good between batteries, just low. Pack voltage on those batteries in my limited thinking should be around 52V after rest period for their age.
My thinking is the batteries are not getting fully charged. An OBC reset may correct the problem?
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Sitting will have a huge effect on the batteries. On the charger or not. I see it every season where I'm at.
First, I'm going to say your battery numbers are OK. Don't see an issue.
But if you are worried, have a complete discharge test done. That will give you your answer. You could wait a couple more months before the 18 month warranty is up and then have them tested.

If I understand correctly the cart is being used once every 6 weeks. For a mile? or 20 miles? It makes a difference.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:39 AM   #13
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
That's after charge complete and 8-12 hr rest? You are using the factory Power Drive Charger?

Dang, I'm not an expert around here but it seems like you are not getting a full charge on your batteries...

Have you tried resetting the OBC? Pull the Neg wire from the battery post going to the OBC, leaving it disconnected for 15 min?
That's two days after a full charge. All I have done is loaded it into my truck and back into the garage. I will try resetting the obc. I've read the procedure for that. Will leaving the battery pack disconnected for a while also work? Thanks!
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:43 AM   #14
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

As far as useage. Typically ride around the neighborhood on weekends. Gets less use in winter but it doesn't sit all winter either. Always plug it back in after use and if I haven't used in a week during he winter I unplug and plug back in to keep charged. The odd thing is it will hold at the 50-50.3 level for several days. Not getting fully charged my br the issue.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:14 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Disconnecting the pack for more than 10 minutes will reset the OBC.

I assume You have a single negative cable and it runs through the OBC to controller B-.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:08 AM   #16
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
Sitting will have a huge effect on the batteries. On the charger or not. I see it every season where I'm at.
First, I'm going to say your battery numbers are OK. Don't see an issue.
But if you are worried, have a complete discharge test done. That will give you your answer. You could wait a couple more months before the 18 month warranty is up and then have them tested.

If I understand correctly the cart is being used once every 6 weeks. For a mile? or 20 miles? It makes a difference.
Unfortunately I have to say this is the sad truth... While my 3 year old batteries still show excellent rested as well as recovery voltage I can feel that they are losing strength in our TN hills. My cart while on a DPI 24/7 does sit unused for months on end during the winter and while I'm away on ship for 4 weeks my wife uses it very little even when the weather is nice. So in the end it gets very little use and the batteries are still suffering even with the DPI...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:27 PM   #17
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

I hope I don't have the same fate as you teecro.
I just got a set of Crown CR190's and they will sit four and a half days a week and then get run into the ground on Saturday's and Sunday's. Then back on the DPI until the following Friday evening. This will be the case seven months out of the year.
Over the five month winter, I'll run the cart for maybe 1/2 hour - 45 minutes three times a week.
I am hoping to get 4-6 years out of them...
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #18
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
I hope I don't have the same fate as you teecro.
I just got a set of Crown CR190's and they will sit four and a half days a week and then get run into the ground on Saturday's and Sunday's. Then back on the DPI until the following Friday evening. This will be the case seven months out of the year.
Over the five month winter, I'll run the cart for maybe 1/2 hour - 45 minutes three times a week.
I am hoping to get 4-6 years out of them...
Granted I'm fairly sure I can see at the very least another year and likely two from these batteries. It's just that I can tell that they have less lasting power than they did last year...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #19
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Guys I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Unfortunately I disconnected the negative cable for an hour or so and tried again. Same outcome.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car