lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
cardudenc
Not Yet Wild

Default first club car build

Im not totally new to carts had a couple, so somewhat a newbie but have been lurking around on here since prob. my 1st cart back in 07.
but this will be my 1st buying a non running and "fixer upper" electric club car. I live in a sc beach town now where carts are used more than vehicles.
now to the cart. it was advertised as an 01. the # is A0004 from my understanding after checking on here that makes it a 2000 model. It was advertised as having new batteries but melting the cables. I researched before looking at the cart, and just as what I found online was what I saw when I raised the seat. cables are terrible, and atleast 3-4 of the so called new batteries have melted terminals. so I figure now is the time to do the 2 gauge swap. next I don't see the tow haul switch. did they all have 1 or has this 1 been removed? next will be seat covers and I should be good to go for awhile.
I have been skimming the sticky thread in this forum. that's why I decided to do a thread. what are the upgrades, deletes or by-passes I should do while working on this cart?
all help is greatly appreciated, TIA
cardudenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: first club car build

With no run/tow switch you likely have a series cart...big switch down by your right leg that is forward/reverse? I would start by checking date codes on the batteries and then a voltage check of each battery to determine if they are all equally charged. Then the next issue is whether the melted terminals can be salvidged or if they are bad enough to warrant replacing all the batteries. There are techniques for fixing battery posts but they have their limitations. If you up-grade to 2ga. Cables you will need an adapter post to facilitate getting that large a wire to work with the OBC (on board computer). There are several ways to make a series cart go faster....order a new motor from somebody like Plum Quick or D&D...or put in high speed gears. I have choose the high speed gear option on severial of my past carts and have always been pleased. Keep asking questions and others will give you their thoughts also. Good luck.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:08 AM   #3
cardudenc
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: first club car build

I will research "series" cart . not familiar with that. I would like it to be faster than the Yamaha I just sold. lifted with 22s ,17 was its top speed.
guess next I will post some pics so everyone knows what I'm working with. this club car is lifted and I would guess on 22s. after I get it going I'm planning on upgrading to some 14" wheels and whatever tires will fit under it. or maybe a lil more lift. speed wise I'm not really after a speed demon, wouldn't mind it being able to run with traffic on ocean blvd which speed limit is 25. this 1 will def have some sorta sound system. so a question on that would be do most of you run a converter or an extra 12v battery just for the stereo?
the p.o. told me it has sat for atleast a year, so I'm sure all the batteries are completely drained. when I post a pic of the cables and batteries everyone will understand why. I read a few post and watched a couple videos on repairing the battery post. again I will post pics for those that have more knowledge on this than me, but I think these can be fixed. but the rest of the wiring is what scares me now. hopefully this week I will find time to mess with it, get the pics for on here. and I want to print off a copy of the wiring harness off here and start going over it.
next question, which do most you guys prefer.... ordering pre made battery cables or ordering the length of cable needed and making your own? if its the later, how much total cable does it take? I'm sure there is some more questions I was wanting to ask, just don't rem. so I guess we will cover them as this goes on.
thanx for the input
Old 04-18-2017, 12:28 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down. Forget about 2 gage cables, performance, etc.

What do you have? Nobody can help without the basics.

Seems like you have a project that is a bit away from thinking about seat covers, stereo etc.

Good luck with the project. Everything you need to know is in here.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:52 AM   #5
cardudenc
Not Yet Wild

I took it as the serial # gave that info. as far as I know going from that its a 00 model. wasn't sure if that info let most of you guys know the rest as far as what volt. so its 48v with 6 8 volt batteries.
the cables are so bad if I fixed the battery terminals I would still have issues. so I figure my very 1st things to do is replace the cables and try and fix the terminals on the batteries that are melted then plug it up and see if it charges and moves. then move onto all the other items on my list
Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 AM   #6
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

If the cart sat for at least a year, the batteries are toast, get new batteries instead of wasting time fixing the melted posts.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

You have a 2000 series cart. Below is your wiring diagram. I agree with Kashmir, if the batteries sat for that long, they will need to be replaced. As far as cables go, I had fun making my own. I picked up all the copper lugs, heat shrink tubing, and wire at my local farm store. I used a harbor freight crimper to attach the lugs. It worked perfectly.

Have fun with your project, and let's see some pics!

jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
cardudenc
Not Yet Wild

thanx for the info. and the wiring dia. how much cable did it take to do it all?
I just want to go over the whole cart as I'm doing this. want to get it as trouble free as I can. I live a few blocks a way from our shop, so I plan on using it as my daily driver. and I will get some pics as soon as I'm at the house during daylight hrs.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Mine took about 12 feet, but it's a sepex cart. Series carts require a little more, 15-16 feet should be enough.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

My 2000 series DS took 29 feet of 2 ga cable to do the batteries and the f/r switch.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car