lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
coltb
Not Yet Wild

Default 350 robin engine sputtering and backfire

i have a early 90's workhorse and just repplaced a number of parts; carburetor, spark plugs, fuel lines, and air filter. when I take of or when at an even speed engine cuts out. seems to run better on smooth surfaces but still acts up just not as bad. also when you let off the accelerator and come to a stop it backfires once. I have reset my valves to .004. I cannot figure this out any help would be appreciated.
coltb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
coltb
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 350 robin engine sputtering and backfire

can anyone help me with this no response in 24 hrs??
Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did you drain/clean your gas tank & put fresh gas in? Also check out the following 2 links and see if they're of any help ......> #1 link http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...ntainance.html

#2 link http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...4-strokes.html
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
coltb
Not Yet Wild

thank you for the response. I have a brand new gas tank and yes it was very clean also put new fuel filter on at the same time, it is a clear filter and is always a little less than half full. I have put three different fuel pumps on and still cutting out. this is a lifted golf cart. I was thinking of purchasing a new coil and spark plug wires. not sure if that could be part of my problem. I have clean both clutches, and changed all the oils. the only thing I didn't do was change the oil filter not sure if that would cause the cutting out? i am at a loss here I'm pretty good with engines but this has me stumped. I'm about to go buy a new engine. by the way I like your knowing him comment.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #5
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't see where the oil filter would have anything to do with your problem,I would double check all the electrical connections to be sure they're clean & tight to rule that out.I know it's a long shot & sounds silly but is there a possibility that the starter solenoid is cutting out (has to be constantly engaged while engine is running)?As for as backfiring one cause can be from the carburetor butterfly not closing completely or opening before the micro switch engages which can be corrected by adjusting the throttle/governor cables.Thanks for the comment on my signature line,I fully believe it!!!
Old 05-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Dangerousdan55
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

On the back fire when stopping, its defintly the carb butterfly not closed off. Its either cable adjustment or just the screw adjustment on the carb. That was my issue also.(carb screw)
Now for your cutting out at speed. Do you know what RPM your running? Could be the Rev limited trying to protect the engine. If you have jacked up the running speed, the Rev limited is most likely causing the issue.
Dangerousdan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #7
coltb
Not Yet Wild

I will try and run through my electrical again because it did start sputtering after I did away with the ignition and hard wired it to always be on. I will also check to see if my carburetor is closing all the way, I found that in another forum last night but just got off work and now have the weekend to do some trouble shooting. thanks for all the advise.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
coltb
Not Yet Wild

yessssssssssssssss!!!!!! we solved the issue, a wire running from my accelerator switch to the solenoid was not secure. my male and female disconnects were tight but on the female side of the disconnect was not crimped down on the wire running to the gas pedal switch. now on to the back fire I will get that adjusted and should be rollin in style. thanks guys, something so simple but I guess I was standing to close to the problem. I really appreciate the help I was running out of options.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltb View Post
yessssssssssssssss!!!!!! we solved the issue, a wire running from my accelerator switch to the solenoid was not secure. my male and female disconnects were tight but on the female side of the disconnect was not crimped down on the wire running to the gas pedal switch. now on to the back fire I will get that adjusted and should be rollin in style. thanks guys, something so simple but I guess I was standing to close to the problem. I really appreciate the help I was running out of options.
Great to hear that part is fixed and I understand what you're saying about standing too close to the problem .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO