lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #21
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Just showing her off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I only asked, as you had to "sacrifice" 4 batteries to do this repair. One was new, but the other three could have been dead.
I'm not sure what you mean here? I didn't use another battery to do the repair.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #22
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKSoft84 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean here? I didn't use another battery to do the repair.
I musta read your post wrong. I thought you bought a new battery and sacrificed thee old ones for the lead?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #23
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKSoft84 View Post
Alright... Called the local battery place. They told me that they used to get posts repaired but the guy who was doing it has gotten too old and shaky.

So, what is a man to do? Easy call up his inner Macgyver!

Knowing what they do to electric fork lift battery packs, this made the process slightly easy, yet I will say do not try this at home kids.

I went to Wal-Mart, purchased a 6v battery (the lantern type, non-alkaline says "carbon" on the side of it) Then I took it apart and extracted the carbon rods from within.

Took an old battery cable and "soldered" or melted the lead on the battery post, I figured I could put a new bolt in and then just cast lead around it to hold it on. Well I tried. It didn't work but I tried. So, I took 3 lead marine type battery clamps and put them on the little nubs of the trojan batteries... then I took my carbon rods and melted the lead that they where on and melted lead weights into that lead and filled them up. I melted them on. I even melted the side out of one just to make sure that the lead was doing as I wanted it to.

These are solid. Note** I didn't say pretty.

I did clean them up as best as possible.

I put all the batteries back into the cart, and put some new cables on them. I still need to replace the cables that connect to the controller, and I need to put new ends on the cables that connect to the charger. Other than that, things are looking much better.

I see now that your 6 volt battery was a carbon/acid one.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #24
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I see now that your 6 volt battery was a carbon/acid one.
Oh yes, sorry. The 6v battery was the lantern type $3 at walmart. I just needed it for the carbon rods that are inside of it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-H...Battery/870846
Old 06-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #25
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have a coffee can full of carbon rods. I'm a hoarder.

I also have Tritium.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:35 PM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Still the best repair I've seen here, Most use the screw method.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #27
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Alright, well this is where I left off last night.

Got the rear body on, all of my wiring is done. Radio in, Horn in, Battery Meter that I ordered was supposed to be for a 36v they shipped a 48v so I shipped it back. New one is supposed to arrive today. I did not hook up the 12v memory wire for the radio, I am considering a 12v SLA battery for this job, but haven't decided.

I had two issues. #1, the power wire that goes to the key switch is Not 36 volts. It reads out at a little over 19 volts. I was going to hook my battery meter up to the key switch so that it could be on when you turn the key on. Since I don't have 36 volts there that didn't happen. So, what I wound up doing, I ran 36 volts to the B1 slot on the key switch, and then ran that out of the key switch and to the 36 to 12 volt reducer. I borrowed the 36 volts coming from that for the battery meter and ran a ground up to it as well. You can turn the key switch to the first position and drive the cart, the 2nd position allows you to turn on lights, or the radio.

The 2nd issue was that one of the tail lights that came with the body kit is badly fogged up inside. These are sealed LED units so there isn't anyway to clean it. Hopefully the dealer I got this body kit from on eBay will help. If not, I will see if I can get any help from DoubleTake.

Pictures (don't mind the ever messy garage...):

Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #28
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks like a classic AH-OOO-GAH horn! You should be heard!
Nice work ARKSoft!

Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #29
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystar57 View Post
Looks like a classic AH-OOO-GAH horn! You should be heard!
Nice work ARKSoft!
Thanks! - It is surely a classic Ah-OoO-Gah horn. Sure beats those Chinese plastic ones you can get at harbor freight these days.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #30
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Here's my "horn". I have a toggle switch for changing from a stock horn to a "scare kids at the lake drinking and smoking age inappropriate substances" mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcCo...ature=youtu.be

Also fun for the July 4 parade, where I blow away all my neighbors. Gotta see if anyone has an RXV, and how well I hold up uphill.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO