lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
drum3rguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default LED Light Bar install help needed

I have a 2000's model (not sure of the exact year as it was an inherited cart) TXT that had no lights. I purchased a nilight bar and wiring harness from Amazon and installed it earlier this week. (image attached)

Before installing, I watched a lot of videos and read a few posts on this forum and thought I had a pretty good handle on things.

I mounted the bar and ran the main lines from the harness to two successive batteries to get 12v. I know some say it's best to use a voltage reducer but I wanted to get it going before I purchased one.

After getting everything hooked up, I can get the light to work, but the cart won't go. The harness came with a lighted switch, which uses a wire from the harness and a positive and negative wire to the batteries and does include a relay built in. (pic attached)

I ran the pos and neg wires from the switch to the same batteries I hooked the main power up to. I figured it draws a negligible amount of power while in use, but after my initial issues, I hooked it to two other successive batteries just to test it out, but with similar results.

Now, all of that being said, these batteries are several years old and maybe they are just too old to carry any extra load. In that case, I may just buy an extra battery to run the light off of, but don't want to if I don't have to.

Does anyone have any experience with this light/harness or a similar one and can point out what I did wrong?

Much thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61TQ6KI6Z3L._SY355_.jpg (19.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg B0155W7EDS.PT02_large.jpg (24.1 KB, 0 views)
drum3rguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: LED Light Bar install help needed

Hello drum3rguy. Welcome to BGW.

Was the cart running Ok before the install? How much have you used it prior to this?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
drum3rguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The cart was running fine. We use it several times a week and especially a lot on the weekends. We have about 12 acres that we ride around on. All easy, flat terrain.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Ok. I'm not an Ez-Go guy, and I'm having a bit of trouble following what you did with the install.

Check the voltage of the pack and state the exact model, etc. so we can help you.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #5
Dixie Chopper
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did you disconnect the battery pack main leads while doing the install? Does the cart have a run/tow switch?
Dixie Chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:13 PM   #6
drum3rguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It's a 36v pack (I haven't tested it with a meter, but it's 6 batteries wired in series). Where can I find the model year? I know it's early 2000's, but not sure of the exact year.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
drum3rguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Chopper View Post
Did you disconnect the battery pack main leads while doing the install? Does the cart have a run/tow switch?
It does have a tow switch, and I didn't disconnect the main leads... Probably not the right thing to do, I'm guessing.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

You say you hooked the wires from the switch to the same batteries the main power goes to.

Are you sure this is correct? I'm not familiar with that kit.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #9
drum3rguy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The wiring harness had a pos and neg wire that I hooked to 2 successive batteries to get 12v (pos on battery A and neg on battery B). i tested with a meter to be sure it was 12. Then the switch also has to connect to pos/neg along with a third wire built into the harness that just goes to the switch, not to a battery. I connected the pos and neg wires from the switch to the same batteries as the original wires from the harness.

So in total, there are 2 pos and 2 neg wires. 2 for the harness that supplies the main power, and 2 for the switch. This was what was written on the instructions as well as what I had seen in other videos.

The instructions assumed a single battery (for automotive install I guess) so when it said to run the pos and neg wires from the switch to the battery, I hooked it to the same two batteries as the first pos and neg wires from the harness.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:32 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

OK. I'm going to have to defer to some EZ-GO guys to help you from here.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO