lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Default 12 volt battery choice-Crown/US battery

If you had the choice between 6 month old Crowns or 1 1/2 old US batteries with a watering system which one would you chose and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daroosta25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 12 volt battery choice-Crown/US battery

Big question is how they've been cared for. Either should work for a while. The Crowns are newer, so theoretically should last a bit longer. Either way I'd personally ditch the watering system. maintaining a fleet of carts that might make sense, but on individuals carts I've seen people depend on them & get battery damage from stuck floats, pinched lines and all. I trust my own eyes & it's not that big and inconvenience to check them myself.

Last edited by meimk; 12-01-2017 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: spelling correction
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #3
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Big question is how they've been cared for. Either should work for a while. The Crowns are newer, so theoretically should last a bit longer. Either way I'd personally ditch the watering system. maintaining a fleet of carts that might make sense, but on individuals carts I've seen people depend on them & get battery damage from stuck floats, pinched lines and all. I trust my own eyes & it's not that big and inconvenience to check them myself.

Currently, I have the year and a half US batteries in mine. I have another cart I’m thinking about selling with the 6 month old Crowns. Just wondering if it is worth switching the Crowns into my cart before selling.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

like meimk says / just to ditch the watering system i'd use the crowns and they are a year newer .but it depends on what ones you have . is one brand the high end batteries vs the low end Batteries?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...omparison.html

It doesn't show crowns , but if they are a high end vs a low end U.S. it's worth the research
CAUTION : The Hydro-link single fill point system was designed to save dealerships and fleet maintenance managers time. The down side is without seeing into a cell a lot of times the cells have a under-fill and over-fill condition due to the floating stop valves in each of the filler tubes getting stuck in either the open or closed condition especially as they get older. so you can end up with a dry cell due to the float valve stuck in the closed position or excessive leakage due to the stop off valve stuck in the open position and over filling a cell .. and there is always the danger of hydrogen gas collection in the tubes which presents a potential for explosion should a spark occur. Most all posts here on the forum by people that have installed them agree not to use them. And i myself have this system and have had this problem , So i just dont use it and pop the caps once a month.
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZHO View Post
like meimk says / just to ditch the watering system i'd use the crowns and they are a year newer .but it depends on what ones you have . is one brand the high end batteries vs the low end Batteries?

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...omparison.html

CAUTION : The Hydro-link single fill point system was designed to save dealerships and fleet maintenance managers time. The down side is without seeing into a cell a lot of times the cells have a under-fill and over-fill condition due to the floating stop valves in each of the filler tubes getting stuck in either the open or closed condition especially as they get older. so you can end up with a dry cell due to the float valve stuck in the closed position or excessive leakage due to the stop off valve stuck in the open position and over filling a cell .. and there is always the danger of hydrogen gas collection in the tubes which presents a potential for explosion should a spark occur. Most all posts here on the forum by people that have installed them agree not to use them. And i myself have this system and have had this problem , So i just dont use it and pop the caps once a month.

If I ditch the watering system, what do I do about the holes where the system inserted into the Battery? Or should I leave it on there and just remove the cell caps each time I add water

Old 12-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If you are OK with the 18 month old batteries I would leave the 6 month old batteries where they are. Much easier to sell a cart with 6 month old batteries.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
daroosta25
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by daroosta25 View Post
If I ditch the watering system, what do I do about the holes where the system inserted into the Battery? Or should I leave it on there and just remove the cell caps each time I add water

This is a picture of the Crown batteries. Is this the higher end or lower end of Crown?

Old 12-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #8
EZHO
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Unless you have the stock caps , Yes ' just leave it hooked up and keep the one way valve on the fill end to keep dirt out and then just pop the 3 piece cap like normal ..

Golf Cart Battery Comparison Ohhhhh 12 volt , sorry missed the header

I dont have the spec's on them either but again' if they are a high end vs a low end U.S. it's worth the research , well to me it would be .can make the deference of alot more drive time between charging and getting or not getting home
EZHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO