lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #1
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Minimum voltage

It was about 50 degrees the other evening and I took the cart for a 5 mile run. We nearly froze to death and decided 55 is the new minimum for us to ride fast!

I was full throttle at 24 to 25 MPH for 4 miles of it. Lights and yellow flasher were on if these can help cause this. My navigator kept watching the digital voltmeter [in between helping me watch the road and for cars!] and she saw a minimum voltage of 44.0 consistently during full throttle.

When I went to half throttle, the voltage was 48.5 to 49.3. When I pulled into the barn and shut everything down, the meter read 50.1.

Was that minimum voltage acceptable under these conditions? When it was warmer out, I never noticed it below 45 volts even under hard acceleration.

I hope this is normal during the colder weather operation. The XCT is set for minimum 40 volts.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2017, 12:52 AM   #2
Golferdave
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Minimum voltage

Seems ok to me
That about 1 V per batt.
Volts drop under load
&
it is a chemical reaction
so it is less efficient at colder temps
Golferdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave View Post
Seems ok to me
That about 1 V per batt.
Volts drop under load
&
it is a chemical reaction
so it is less efficient at colder temps
Thanks, Golferdave. I guess you may be the cold weather expert here!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Based on my experience, you are well within normal parameters. I think when voltage drops below 42 for longer than momentarily is when it's time to give the batteries a harder look.
Batteries are rated at 80°F. As temps drop, capacity is what is affected mostly I think. This chart is produced by Trojan but all FLA batteries would be similar.

When using the digital meter for measuring range I find it to be pessimistic. It needs 15-30 minutes of rest to stabilize at the true battery voltage. So, in your example you went 5 miles and used more than 15% of battery capacity which in my experience is excessive. If you were to go to the barn and check it again after at least 15 minutes I'm betting it would have read much higher -- 50.4-50.6 maybe which would be more consistent with a healthy pack under those conditions.

60° is my minimum for taking the cart out at all, but it has been pointed out to me that I'm getting old and cranky.

12v electric blankets are cheap. I have a power point on my EZGO where the shifter is on a DS cart. You can put it over your and companion's lap or sit on it. My dog likes it also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan Temp vs Storage Capacity.jpg (81.1 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Based on my experience, you are well within normal parameters. I think when voltage drops below 42 for longer than momentarily is when it's time to give the batteries a harder look.
Batteries are rated at 80°F. As temps drop, capacity is what is affected mostly I think. This chart is produced by Trojan but all FLA batteries would be similar.

When using the digital meter for measuring range I find it to be pessimistic. It needs 15-30 minutes of rest to stabilize at the true battery voltage. So, in your example you went 5 miles and used more than 15% of battery capacity which in my experience is excessive. If you were to go to the barn and check it again after at least 15 minutes I'm betting it would have read much higher -- 50.4-50.6 maybe which would be more consistent with a healthy pack under those conditions.

60° is my minimum for taking the cart out at all, but it has been pointed out to me that I'm getting old and cranky.

12v electric blankets are cheap. I have a power point on my EZGO where the shifter is on a DS cart. You can put it over your and companion's lap or sit on it. My dog likes it also.
Thanks for the reply, kernal. Everything you said fits my situation precisely...especially the old and cranky part!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car