lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #21
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: DPI Charger

We get in a few dead DPIs every so often, and we cannot repair them (everyting inside is all on one board, no relay or such to replace)

However we have had great luck with Pro Charging Systems Eagle Performance Series, which not only auto-detect batteries, but unlike stock or DPI (the ones intended to replace stock) an Eagle turns on even if the pack is too low for any other charger to turn on, so you can boost a pack if it is as low as 15V, and it will maintain and trickle charge a car over winter as well. Also made in USA like DPI, replaceable parts are available, though we have had the same 3 demos they sent us years ago without a single issue. We use them to boost DBS cars (Dead Battery Specials)
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #22
Snuffy1757
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngilliland View Post
The top 2 and bottom 2 leds flashing when you plug the charger into the cart indicate it is set to mode 28. That mode is for General spiral lead batteries. You may want to change the mode to whatever type batteries you have and see if it charges. The charger does a test at a few amps before it will start charging. Maybe being set to this mode is causing it to fail the test.
Hummm . That’s interesting I set the mode the way they told me for my Trojan T185 batteries. 2,4,5 to the right and 1,3 to the left.
Snuffy1757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #23
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy1757 View Post
Hummm . That’s interesting I set the mode the way they told me for my Trojan T185 batteries. 2,4,5 to the right and 1,3 to the left.
Make sure you have the correct switches set. It isn't logical to me but the switches are numbered from the bottom to the top. So switch 1 is the bottom one and switch 5 is the top one. Starting at the bottom and moving up the switches would be, Left, Right, Left, Right, Right.

The settings they gave you are for mode 12. That is a Trojan battery mode. When you have mode 12 set LEDs 2 and 3 should flash when you plug in the cart. The LEDs are also numbered from the bottom to the top. They are the Shutdown and the Detection LEDs. Make sure you have the charger plugged into A/C power before you connect it to the cart.

I haven't had any problems with my charger but the instruction manual is terrible.
rngilliland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #24
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Switch Setting is numbered left to right or up/down ‘1’ to ‘5’
To me this means that the top switch is #1. But it isn't it's number 5. This is a huge error in their manual. I think it's to a point where DPI doesn't care anymore.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:43 PM   #25
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

I couldn't even find DIP switch settings for my T875 flooded as nothing was in the manual. May be there now but I had to call in to get the settings...

So far so good - almost 6 months in with my DPI accusense charger. No more float mode though which really sucks...
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 PM   #26
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
To me this means that the top switch is #1. But it isn't it's number 5. This is a huge error in their manual. I think it's to a point where DPI doesn't care anymore.
I got my Gen IV charger about a year ago, before they added the note about up/down. The manual was written for a horizontal layout of the switches and LEDs. When I was setting up the charger I assumed 1 was the top for the switches but the LEDs that flashed didn't make any sense. I called DPI and was told they would call me back. While I was waiting I figured out what was happening and got the charger set correctly. The guy that returned my call was the engineer that wrote the manual. Apparently I was the first person to point out the problem with the manual and he thought it was funny. After he stopped laughing he said they would issue an addendum to the manual. As far as I know there isn't any addendum but they did add the notes about the numbering of the vertical switches and LEDs. Like you noticed they still have the note wrong.

One easy way to set the switches is to lay the charger on the right side (while looking at the front of the charger) then you can set the switches using the normal left/right mode chart.
rngilliland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:25 PM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The engineer was approaching the deadline, so he was laying on the floor on his side when he wrote the manual and decided "up and down".
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #28
Snuffy1757
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngilliland View Post
Make sure you have the correct switches set. It isn't logical to me but the switches are numbered from the bottom to the top. So switch 1 is the bottom one and switch 5 is the top one. Starting at the bottom and moving up the switches would be, Left, Right, Left, Right, Right.

The settings they gave you are for mode 12. That is a Trojan battery mode. When you have mode 12 set LEDs 2 and 3 should flash when you plug in the cart. The LEDs are also numbered from the bottom to the top. They are the Shutdown and the Detection LEDs. Make sure you have the charger plugged into A/C power before you connect it to the cart.

I haven't had any problems with my charger but the instruction manual is terrible.
Thank you. I definitely have my switched wrong. I was counting the top switch as one and the bottom switch as 5. I will change it and try again. You probably save someone from DPI a tongue lashing.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #29
Snuffy1757
Getting Wild

I changed the mode switches to the correct settings. Now when I plug it into my cart the shutdown and detection lights come on and flashes 3 times but the charger still won’t come on. Anymore ideas???
Old 09-20-2018, 11:56 AM   #30
Snuffy1757
Getting Wild

The green power light in the back will not come on. The power outlet is good and the power cord ohms good for continuity. Looks like DOI is gonna get that tongue lashing after all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO