lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #1
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Smile 1994 EZGO TXT Project

Hey gang!

We have a hunting place out in the Texas Hill Country. My F250 Super Duty is huge and not often necessary to head out to the hunting blinds. I decided to go the electric cart route since they are quiet and there are a ton of mods one can t=do to make them decent hunting carts.

I bought a 1994 EZGO TXT this morning and hauled it home. No batteries or charger. Evidently previous owner lent the batteries and charger out and got ripped off.

It needs a total rebuild but has plenty of potential. I have been looking at multiple rebuild threads and figure I can do this since I'm pretty mechanical as well as experienced in electrical and electronics.

My plans so far:

1. Complete disassemble, cataloguing all parts and fasteners.
2. Replace battery tray.
3. Repair any corroded frame areas.
4. Powder coat frame.
5. Plowman's posi.
6. 6" lift, 22" tires. Have not decided on long travel lift but cart will be off road a lot.
7. HD rear springs.
8. Disc brakes.
9. Scottyb's conversion package with upgrade to 48v. His wiring kit too.
10. Camo paint.
11. Rear seat.
12. Headlights, tail lights brake lights, turn signals.
13. LED light bars. Green ones for pig hunting.
14. Tube brush guard and winch.

I will be asking questions but so far I have gleaned tons of information from the forums. This is a great place.

My first questions are regarding batteries. I am assuming my TXT originally had 6 each 6 v batteries? When I convert to 48v can I go with 4 each 12v batteries or will I have to use 6 each 8v batteries?

Also, I see that I have to drill out some rivets to get the body off? I found rivet kits available. Can I use my pop rivet tool for these rivets?

As soon as I can post pics I will. Thanks in advance!
truetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1994 EZGO TXT Project

#5 is going to be a problem. I just called Plowman's Carts today to see if their posi will fit in my 1995 Medalist, but it will only fit a 1998-2006. Also, use six 8 volt batteries, rather than four 12 volt's. I believe they have a much better AH rating. Good luck with your build and here are some things I did to my 1995 Medalist, might give you some ideas.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...formation.html
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I don't know if the Medalist have Dana rear ends like my 2000 EZ-GO Txt model. Someone more knowledgeable than me needs to chime in.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:44 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

truetex....sounds like you have a PLAN and a good one.....The link below is the hunting buggie I built for my nephew last year. it has all the features you are doing except the posi and the winch. We are Texan's as well....live on the coast near Houston.....his lease is out on the hill country.

My First TOTAL Build.pdf

to answer some of your questions:

as 70oldschoolracer mentioned.....the way to go would be to go 6-8v batteries, for a number of reasons. the best reason is that 6-8v's have a better range than 4-12v's.

as far as your pip-rivet tools, YES, the rivets are standard pop rivets, nothing special.

IF you are bound and determined to have a posi, it could be expensive, but a solution would be to obtain a 1998-2006 rear end, have it modified and swap it into your cart.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Most of the rivets in the kits are soft metal and easily fitted with a normal rivet gun. there are a few stainless ones on the TXT that may break your gun or your wrist LOL, but are ok with an air powered gun. I think these are just for the seat clips. Try not to replace them with soft rivets as they will not last long.

Good luck with your project.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
#5 is going to be a problem. I just called Plowman's Carts today to see if their posi will fit in my 1995 Medalist, but it will only fit a 1998-2006. Also, use six 8 volt batteries, rather than four 12 volt's. I believe they have a much better AH rating. Good luck with your build and here are some things I did to my 1995 Medalist, might give you some ideas.
Well dadgum. Guess I will have to postpone my posi mod and focus on the rest. Nice job on your medalist.
truetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Most of the rivets in the kits are soft metal and easily fitted with a normal rivet gun. there are a few stainless ones on the TXT that may break your gun or your wrist LOL, but are ok with an air powered gun. I think these are just for the seat clips. Try not to replace them with soft rivets as they will not last long.

Good luck with your project.
I bought a rivet gun from Harbor Freight that has action like bolt cutters and it worked pretty good.

If you're going to completely take off all the plastic from the metal body order 3 of the TXT rivet kits. The ones around the dash matched up but the rest on the rear body I had to play a guessing game with matching them up, I ordered 2 kits. Also make sure you use the right style rivet in the right place.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #8
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Does anybody know what changed on the rear ends in 1998-2006 or why the posi units will not work on the earlier years?
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:16 PM   #9
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbycason View Post
I bought a rivet gun from Harbor Freight that has action like bolt cutters and it worked pretty good.

If you're going to completely take off all the plastic from the metal body order 3 of the TXT rivet kits. The ones around the dash matched up but the rest on the rear body I had to play a guessing game with matching them up, I ordered 2 kits. Also make sure you use the right style rivet in the right place.

Somewhere on this forum there is a list of exactly which rivets are needed for a complete rebuild. I had the list when I did mine and cross checked it with the repair manual. Using that, I didn’t have a problem knowing what went where, but the kits don’t have every single rivet. I can’t remember now which ones were not included. Others here know the answer to that. I wanted to say that it was the dash rivets, but not sure. It sounds like bobbycason fixed that buy getting multiple kits. I sourced the others I needed from fastenal. I’d never riveted anything before, but after using the kit it was easy to figure out what size and type was needed to finish.

I also bought the hf larger style rivet gun. I ended up wishing I had just bought their pneumatic one. The one I bought (blue handles) is too large to get into some spots, so I had to buy a smaller one too. Also, the big one can kinda “jump” when it snaps off the rivet and scratch the paint if you’re not careful. The small one couldn’t do the large ss rivets that hold the body on. The pneumatic will do all sizes you will need.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #10
texbama
Not Yet Wild

truetex..... looks like you will be building a cart similar to mine. I hunt Texas hill country just northwest of Llano. From my experience in the hill country you are going to need the long travel up front and upgrade to HD hubs in the rear this hills and rocks are rough. Also, since you need batteries and a charger you may want to look at going lithium. I am about to pull the trigger on lithium for my '96 TXT series cart this spring. Lot of good information on here how to do it.
texbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO