lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
AKavanaughSC
Not Yet Wild

Default Suspected Soleniod/Controller Issue & Replacement Ideas

Golf cart referenced is a 2005 EZGO TXT.

Backed golf cart out of the garage and into the street, accelerated then it just died. Flipped it to TOW and rolled back to the garage. With the cart in the garage, key in ON position, cart in FWD, when I hit the accelerator, I can hear the solenoid click, it slightly jerks, but it won't go. Got on here and started searching previous threads with my issue. Came across a few threads that seemed to have the same issue which is the death of a stock controller. Almost a year ago, I installed a lift kit and got new, larger tires, 22/11/10 tires. I did not replace/upgrade anything else. Cart has ran fine until now.

Should it be that issue, I will need to install a new solenoid and controller. On the researched threads, I kept seeing Alltrax controllers so I looked into those. On my current Curtis controller, there are quite a few quick connects that it looks like the Alltrax doesn't have receptacles for, yet they say they are compatible with the EZGO TXT. Not really sure about this. Also, any recommendations for a compatible solenoid?

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to scour through older threads.

Thanks in advance!
AKavanaughSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Suspected Soleniod/Controller Issue & Replacement Ideas

The first step to working on the cart or seeking advice is to identify the drive system. In 2005 Ezgo made about 3 different drive systems each take a different controller ( if needed )

You can go here to easily ID the drive system type in this cart.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/upgrade-suggestions.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
AKavanaughSC
Not Yet Wild

Sepex PDS. Contains the F/R Toggle, Run/Tow switch and 10 pin connector on the controller.

Great website you provided a link too! Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Controller may have bit the farm but they usually give more of a warning with a few thermal shutdowns first. Does reverse work or do you get a reverse buzzer?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
AKavanaughSC
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I do get the tone when flipping the switch to reverse. No thermal shutdowns.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKavanaughSC View Post
Sepex PDS. Contains the F/R Toggle, Run/Tow switch and 10 pin connector on the controller.

Great website you provided a link too! Thanks!
Thank you, it's mine. - I put almost as much effort into it as I do here.
The PDS cart is a great platform. I'm sure you have been enjoyment it but, honestly you ain't seen nothing yet. The new Alltrax XCT400 will put a grin on your face that won't wipe off for years to come with that. Considering the bigger tires and the possibility of a rear seat and off the road fun I would add the cooling fan. You should see about a 33% increase in torque with good batteries and a top speed with 22's of around 25 mph.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Could be a bad solenoid. Put it on some jack stands and Flip the cart to Tow. Disconnect the pack negative, pull the controller cover and inspect for damage. Next you will need a volt meter. Once you have access, make sure the run/tow is in tow and hook the pack negative back up. Flip it to run and hook the meter negative to pack negative and the positive too the controller side of the heavy wire on the solenoid. It should read close to pack voltage. Leave the lead there and hit the go pedal. Voltage should stay near pack voltage, if it drops big time the solenoid is bad.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Alltrax XCT controllers with a PDS suffix on the model number has all the connectors on the stock (Curtis 1206MX) except the PDS Mode jack (J2), which isn't used. Instead there is a jack for a personality (aka User) control. The XCT is user programmable from mild to wild, with individual programming for each personality, so the cart can be mild for young drivers, modest for golf and wild for bragging rights.

Also, the stock controller limits the motor to 4400RPM, which is about 19MPH on stock height (18") tires and up to about 23MPH with 22" tires, if the motor can spin up to the RPM limit with oversized tires and a 36V battery pack due to the 18.2% torque loss due to the change in the final drive ration cause by the taller tires. With a XCT, the max RPM is user adjustable up to 8000RPM, but again the max RPM is dependent on the tires and battery pack voltage and the motor manufacturer's recommended max RPM for their motor.

Even with an XCT, you will most likely want to go to a 42V or 48V battery pack eventually, so I recommend the 48V MXJ400 solenoid that will function at 36V, 42V and 48V.

Both the stock PDS motor and the stock PDS controller may have been taken out by the tall tires.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
AKavanaughSC
Not Yet Wild

All, I appreciate all the feedback. Thank you.

scottyb, I do have a rear seat already installed. When I bought the cart, the seat was just added on to back. When I installed the lift kit, I upgraded to HD leaf springs, which should have been done when the seat was installed. Regardless of what the problem is solenoid/controller, I'm going to upgrade as now that I'm more educated on the power system, I should have done this when I installed the lift kit. Based on my research on your site, I'm looking at package deal, Item #5 or #6. I would like the option to grow into a 42/48 volt in the future and want to ensure both the solenoid/controller can handle that now. I believe the cables have already been upgraded to 2g when the batteries were replaced last time, but I'll measure when I get home today.

kgsc, I'm going to do this test when I get home today to pinpoint the problem. I originally YouTubed a few solenoid tests, but none matched the drive system of my cart so I was slightly thrown off and don't believe I tested it properly, i.e. nothing was happening at first because I had the run/tow switch unplugged for extra room. I'm handy, but electrical systems are definitely not my forte; however, I am willing to learn. Your directions for the solenoid test are similar to the ones I followed on YouTube, but I do notice some slight deviations in yours. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks!

JohnnieB, I appreciate you letting me know about the compatibility of the controller, makes it very easy to install. For a bit, I thought I was going to have to cut wires and crimp spade connectors, which is do-able, but obviously a swap is much easier. I like your feedback on the upgrading to 42/48 volts down the road. When I have to replace batteries again, I am most likely going to upgrade, so I'd like the solenoid/controller to have the ability to upgrade. Keeping my fingers crossed that its just a solenoid/controller issue and the problem didn't extend to the motor. Don't have the funds to replace that at this time, lol.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
Old 01-22-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well having the run/Tow connected would probably help in testing:) obviously going to a new controller would be an excellent option. I take it from the username you are somewhere in SC?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO