lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
Saltydawg100
Not Yet Wild

Default Lean in front driver side

Hi all, I am new to this site and excited to be a member. I just put a 6” lift on my 2001 G16. After lifting I noticed that the front right driver side tilts on inch lower. I replaced all shocks with brand new ones when I put on the lift. The shocks are all the same length but the lean actually compresses the front driver side shock by one inch more than the others. Any thoughts as to what is happening? Everything on the cart seems the exact same. Am I looking at a bent frame? When I make a hard left turn the front passenger wheel actually comes off the ground. It’s pretty unsafe the way it rides.
Saltydawg100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Lean in front driver side

Make sure that the steering knuckles are flat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg knuckle arm.jpeg (3.9 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
Saltydawg100
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the thought. Both are flat. What’s odd is the shock n the driver side is compressed one inch more than the passenger side. I was thinking the frame might be bent but that wouldn’t cause the shock to be more compressed with a new A arm I wouldn’t think.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Put it up on jack stands and start measuring to the ground. You'll find out real quick if something is bent.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:11 PM   #5
bbdoc
Not Yet Wild

If you haven't already, check your tire pressures. A squatter would be a real simple fix. I was checking out my springs investigating a lean before I realized my left sides had 3lbs of pressure....
bbdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #6
Saltydawg100
Not Yet Wild

So after a lot of looking at the cart I think I found the issue. The top of the rear shock has broken. The ring that secures the coil to the top of the shock broke leaving a ton of play in the shock. I am hoping after installing a new one the problem will be fixed. Just seems odd that one bad shock in the rear would cause 100% of the problem? Does that make sense?
Old 05-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
Saltydawg100
Not Yet Wild

Slonomo thanks for the tip, didn’t know I could measure the frame that way. I will do that as well once the new shock is on.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If one shock is broken it can affect the balance of the cart. Think of the coil over shocks as devices that "hold up" the chassis. Like a chair, take one leg and shorten it 2"....what kind of chair do you have? A crooked wobbly chair.

Check the rest of your shocks, if one is in poor condition, chances are they are all worn out. I always replace shocks in pairs at a minimum.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
Saltydawg100
Not Yet Wild

Makes sense, it was definitely way out of balance.

THis shock was brand new. I replaced all 4 when I put on the lift kit a few weeks ago. Crazy that it would break like it did. The company I bought from is warranting it and send me a new one.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I've never seen a shock do that. I'm betting they were not OEM? Sometimes aftermarket companies, especially China factories, use very cheap metals. It's possible that metal isn't even real steel, but some kind of pot metal steel. I bought some parts for my truck online and one of the tie rods looked different than the others. I put a magnet on the metal and the odd one was barely able to hold the magnet. Couldn't figure that one out, looked it up online....guess it happens quite often. Be careful what you buy. At least they are sending a new one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha