lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default 2000 TXT steering play....time to update?

I've owned my 2000 TXT for about 8 years now and I'm noticing that my steering has "play" in it. I've done a search on this forum and I haven't found any kind of definitive numbers as to how much play I should have. (Play = turning the steering wheel from left\right or right\left and the OD of the steering wheel is the distance the steering wheel moves before it "moves" the front wheels.)

So, when I have my steering wheel to the left...tires pointed straight ahead, and then I move the steering wheel to the right, I have a good 5"-6" of steering wheel "travel" before the steering engages.

My tie rod ends are only a few years old and the tie rods have no feel of loosens when I grab 'em while the cart is sitting in it's normal rest position.

When I'm moving the steering can get a little interesting when the front end is going over ruts 'n stuff.

Any input on this would be helpful. Again, I dunno if this is normal.....or it's time to install a new steering assembly. Then again, I don't want to install a new steering assembly and essentially have the same steering.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 TXT steering play....time to update?

to adjust the play in the rack assembly, you would end up needing to remove the steering box to start....and to be honest, if I was going to go to that much work, I would be replacing the whole unit so that I wouldn't be doing anything to it other than lubing it for the rest of its life! lol
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Dave you need to figure out where the play is. Have someone turn the wheel while you are watching the parts and see what is going on. Chances are it is at least the steering rack itself. Good news is it isn't that hard to change out but does help if you have extra hands. You will need to remove the boot on the driver's side for putting it back together but to get it out disconnect the tie rod on the rack from the pinion, loosen the band clamp on that boot and the spin the wheel until the rack comes out. Make sure to watch what side the teeth on the rack come out. May take some heat but spin the tie rod out of the rack and install it on a new rack, With someone on the driver's side holding the tensioner in spin the new rack into place and button everything up. Adjust the steering wheel as needed.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks for your responses guys. It appears to me that I can buy the "steering gear box assembly" .....aka....a complete new unit for about $200. I'm looking at the age of my cart thinking a unit replacement may be the best way to go. (As opposed to a rebuild)

I'll have the Mrs wiggle the wheel as I look at the components just so I have a good understanding that it's not something other than the steering box.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

have someone turn steering wheel while you watch front end linkage.
Steering wheel moves without tie rods moving,problem is rack. Do this with cart sitting under it’s own weight,not front end jacked up.
Only so many places play/ware can be in front end. Steering rack,tie rod ends or king pins or wheel bearings.
Oversized tires will stress front end parts opposed to stock wheel size.
Be sure to check front end alignment when done replacing parts��
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Dave we bought one of those $225 racks and it worked but was not as good as an original. We had to because the original was smashed. A new main rack is $50 70718G01 so I would check it out first.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks Kgsc.....I'll check that out. $50 is less than $225.....like $175 less!!!
Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
Sideways
Gone Wild

I replaced the steering rack on my 94.5 Medalist 2 weeks ago with one of the $200.00 ones.
Not that difficult a job but would have been easier with 2 people. There is a bolt next to the steering column bolts under the floor mat
Very pleased with the results.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:46 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well, I got on my creeper and had my lovely spouse turn the steering wheel. So....before I do anything else I noticed I had some play in the tie rods where they attach to the spindle arm(s).

So....before I go any further I need to tighten up or determine the issue with the tie rod ends.

However, if going forward I need to replace the steering rack, I can't find any video or instructions on "how to" do this. Do I need to drop the housing? Obviously I need to unbolt the steering column....at least it appears to me that would need done.

If you know a link that 'splain's this stuff that would help!!
Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Dave I know it has been 24 hours and you are from South western PA but go read post 3

No need to pull the box or steering column. The pinion gear will just spin right over top of the rack once it gets to the end.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO