lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 AM   #11
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Default Re: Replacing a 295 Robin Engine

Thanks for the advice. Seems like a new fuel pump is required. I just replaced my fuel pump in December so hopefully that is new enough. I'm more worried about getting everything wired up when finished - I was looking over the cart last night and a slight sense of dread came over me. Just hoping I don't end up with a pile of old and new parts :>/
rjwenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2019, 07:23 AM   #12
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

here is my experience with a broken rod on a pre mci 295

sent my motor (tore apart from previous owner, in a million pieces) to J&M golf carts in georgia to be rebuilt. For $600 plus shipping both ways you could have it rebuilt. It cost me $26 to ship a motor from the midwest to their shop in georgia at a UPS dealer (local equipment dealer)

They replace everything. They have done 2 motors for me and I have been nothing but impressed. They replaced a crank on a motor that I sent in this winter and I didn't even realize that was a part they had available to replace.

On my 295 they replaced the connecting rod as well as new gaskets, seals, they send the carb gaskets and a new spark plug. I installed it and put oil in the motor and have been driving it since july of 2016. I have a different cart now but its still in the family.

My cart was in a pieces when I got it, the clutch was seized. I did have to order a new one $230 to use my cart. You have to install that with the motor out of a marathon, but assuming your starter is good, your clutch is good, and your carb is good, it isn't too bad to just fix your current engine. IF you want to keep the pedal start functionality of a golf cart. I cannot speak for having a key start (always running) motor, not my cup of tea in a golf cart.
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Thank you for your perspective. I actually don't know exactly what's wrong with the motor, but I do know there's a clanging coming from inside the motor and I have virtually no power - I'm guessing I threw a rod.

It really is a tough decision to make. I rebuilt the carb, changed the ignition coil, fuel pump and plugs back in December. All the other parts are good as far as I can tell. The cart has leaked oil for a while after my son and I did a jump I regret...sorta :) We landed on a hump - the jump was fun haha. Don'tr know how much additional damage that caused over the years.

I like the idea of having everything new coupled with more power, but with a kid just starting college I don't love the price tag. Rebuild sounds more budget friendly, but my concern is that I'll have to change the motor eventually due to the scarcity of 295 Robin parts. I just don't know.

Maybe after I pull the current motor I'll have a better feel for what I'll do. This is all new to me so even getting the motor out will be a small victory :)

As an aside is that sale on the Vegas 625 kit an actual sale or is it always that price?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #14
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

One one has talked about the Vanguard, so I'll toss this out there. The CCP upgrade can be done in a day, but a weekend is probably more realistic. It's big bucks, but if you're going to hang on to the cart, it's could be worth it. Both the Vegas ans CCP upgrades turn the cart into more of an adult driven vehicle.

Very reliable, smooth, and tons of torque. This engine can be pretty quiet with the low tone muffler and tailpipe.

https://www.cartpartsplus.com/perfor...gine-kit-ez-go
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #15
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Thanks for your input. CP241 did mention the Vanguard motors in his initial response. Honestly I haven't really looked at that option simply because of the cost. I was hoping to get the cart back up and running for <$1k. If I go the rebuild route I guess I can, but if I can sell some of the parts off my old motor to get the total cost closer to that number I'd probably go with the Vegas. If I go the Vanguard route I'd need to sell a little plasma too :)
Old 08-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwenter View Post
Thanks for your input. CP241 did mention the Vanguard motors in his initial response. Honestly I haven't really looked at that option simply because of the cost. I was hoping to get the cart back up and running for <$1k. If I go the rebuild route I guess I can, but if I can sell some of the parts off my old motor to get the total cost closer to that number I'd probably go with the Vegas. If I go the Vanguard route I'd need to sell a little plasma too :)

Something else to keep in mind... The Vegas Carts comes with a 6 month warranty on their engine. Vanguard comes with a 3 year warranty. Yes, it costs a good bit more but the additional warranty may be worth it for you.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Thank you for your perspective. I actually don't know exactly what's wrong with the motor, but I do know there's a clanging coming from inside the motor and I have virtually no power - I'm guessing I threw a rod.

It really is a tough decision to make. I rebuilt the carb, changed the ignition coil, fuel pump and plugs back in December. All the other parts are good as far as I can tell. The cart has leaked oil for a while after my son and I did a jump I regret...sorta :) We landed on a hump - the jump was fun haha. Don'tr know how much additional damage that caused over the years.

I like the idea of having everything new coupled with more power, but with a kid just starting college I don't love the price tag. Rebuild sounds more budget friendly, but my concern is that I'll have to change the motor eventually due to the scarcity of 295 Robin parts. I just don't know.

Maybe after I pull the current motor I'll have a better feel for what I'll do. This is all new to me so even getting the motor out will be a small victory :)

As an aside is that sale on the Vegas 625 kit an actual sale or is it always that price?
Not on sale they are about $200 more. Someone posted on their site with the optional wiring kit it was a plug and play deal.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #18
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

2 additional thoughts. The VC install kit using a predator 420 cc would come in at your $1000 or so budget and would retain the pedal start function. I have both of my carts with key start and prefer it. It is just like driving your car. When I redid my stocker J&M very good to me.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #19
rjwenter
Getting Wild

Man you guys are not making my decision any easier! Now I started looking at the Predator 670 setup lol. Since Harbor Freight always has coupons I could probably get that going for about the same price as the Vegas 625. Only thing is I'm not sure how high my lift kit is. Anyway there sure are a lot of options.

I'm not opposed to the key start, but for some reason it seems weird to me. I'm sure I'd get used to it in like a day.

The rebuild is still on the table because I think it would be the easiest for me to do and is the least expensive route, but I'm not sure if it's the best use of funds. I just don't know...

The Vanguard sure has a good warranty, but the cost is just so far beyond what I was originally hoping to spend. Sunday will be a big day for me. If I can successfully remove the motor I'm on my way. If not then my options change dramatically :)
Old 08-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #20
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Man you guys are not making my decision any easier! Now I started looking at the Predator 670 setup lol. Since Harbor Freight always has coupons I could probably get that going for about the same price as the Vegas 625. Only thing is I'm not sure how high my lift kit is. Anyway there sure are a lot of options.

I'm not opposed to the key start, but for some reason it seems weird to me. I'm sure I'd get used to it in like a day.

The rebuild is still on the table because I think it would be the easiest for me to do and is the least expensive route, but I'm not sure if it's the best use of funds. I just don't know...

The Vanguard sure has a good warranty, but the cost is just so far beyond what I was originally hoping to spend. Sunday will be a big day for me. If I can successfully remove the motor I'm on my way. If not then my options change dramatically :)
If you can do mechanic work then these engines are easy to work on. Nothing complicated about removing them and tearing into it. That's the only way you are going to know for sure. I like keeping things original but that's just my old way.

Does your engine smoke and use oil ? Those crankshafts are pretty tough . Access the damage and then decide which way you want to go.

You will probably need some way to heat the manifold because these bolts will sometimes break when trying to remove muffler. You just got to take your time. I can have one out in 30 minutes sitting on a table.
Some people here can remove them in less time than me because of so many times removing the engine the same week
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO