lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
Trukntigger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2013 RXV too much slack in throttle cable

Ok part of reason I joined the forum is for solving life's little mysteries, well ok not really but this bothers me. So I only bought this a month ago. I was told fully reconditioned prior to my getting it. This purchase was at a 5 start rated dealer and I still feel I got a good price and a cart in great shape.

When I asked my detailed questions everything was as expected. It had been fully serviced (plugs, all filters, oil changed, rear end lube done, new belts, new rims, tires, windshield, even a new dark blue body- not a scuff mar on it- that new). They said even the governor has been tweaked up to apx 20mph. I can say all of what they told me seems correct and appears as such, oil and all. Even a full tank of gas to go. About only thing still not done was a brake job and does not look to need one.

After mentioning this and driving it around some with the better weather I've used say 1/3 of a tank of fuel and have some observations that I think need addressing or maybe its just me being too picky or using it wrong. The gas pedal has quite a bit of slack it in before engaging but I do note the carb does move the full range when depressed to floor. Second I get a occasional backfire when going down long grades.

To the backfire after reading it might be just me driving it wrong. I kinda feel like I need to press the gas pedal some to keep engine running in order "coast" downhill because with foot fully off you can feel the drag from the drivetrain and engine like engine braking with a car down a long hill but then I think this speed has more fuel going into the engine that I have pedal pressed for and loads up extra fuel and thus the backfire? Maybe I'm supposed to just keep it almost floored but going downhill I think it then bangs the governor too much.

Part two- when I read on the governor adjustments and look at what is being talked about that bolt on mine is already backed out max and there's so much slack still in the cable. Something just seems off. I took a few pics, would appreciate some feedback on this. Too much time on my hands being lockdown for this virus and all. Thanks-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8EBE6628-4216-4844-B069-4E6794B9EFF0.jpg (17.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg FCA64E72-A4EB-41CE-BF34-9A47E233441F.jpg (18.8 KB, 0 views)
Trukntigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2013 RXV too much slack in throttle cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukntigger View Post

Part two- when I read on the governor adjustments and look at what is being talked about that bolt on mine is already backed out max and there's so much slack still in the cable. -
When you say bolt are you talking about the nut on the end of the cable? Looks like it needs to be tightened a little, them springs should be compressed a little and I think that would take some slack out of the cable and make your pedal engage sooner... faster too.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

That is the shifter cable sb
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
That is the shifter cable sb
The one going from the peddle to the governor?
Old 04-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Bigger cable with the 2 springs is the shifter cable. Small one with 1 coil spring is throttle. Need to adjust cable at the throttle box end.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Sorry, thought I was looking at the peddle to gov cable like on my 2000 that in turn operates the carb linkage, my shift cable goes to a paddle on front of rear-end with 2 vertical springs.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
Trukntigger
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I was not aware of adjustments at pedal end in the box. The few videos always show adjusting at the end at motor but this one already at max limit. Odd I still get wot even with this much slack in it. As for the backfire on downhills am I driving wrong or is it something else? Only does it on the long steep downgrades general when wife with me (assume more weight = more gravity pull downhill like when I drove semi loaded vs empty).

Extra: trying to educate myself and did even more web surfing. If I understand right a backfire can be due to the micro switch not engaging before the carb butterfly opens. If this cable is that loose it may just be the source. Ie: I'm feathering the pedal to keep cart from engine braking but this on/off action is triggering the issue. Right? Still learning.

Last edited by Trukntigger; 04-11-2020 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Trukntigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:49 PM   #8
doo dah
Gone Wild

I have a 2013 TXT, same engine as yours. I recently stretched the cart to 6 seater and installed an extended throttle cable as a result. It took some time to get everything dialed in right. I had some slack like you mentioned and a very sensitive pedal that was basically 100% on with no gradual acceleration. I made adjustments at multiple points but nothing at the pedal and eventually sorted it out. Much better now and no more backfire. I was surprised at how much the governor adjustment impacted the way the cart drove. You do not want the adjuster nut all the way out, I now have 4 or 5 threads and it seems to be the sweet spot between drivability and top speed
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #9
4mula1fan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey! Another WKY guy!! Howdy neighbor!
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trukntigger View Post
I was not aware of adjustments at pedal end in the box. The few videos always show adjusting at the end at motor but this one already at max limit. Odd I still get wot even with this much slack in it. As for the backfire on downhills am I driving wrong or is it something else? Only does it on the long steep downgrades general when wife with me (assume more weight = more gravity pull downhill like when I drove semi loaded vs empty).

Extra: trying to educate myself and did even more web surfing. If I understand right a backfire can be due to the micro switch not engaging before the carb butterfly opens. If this cable is that loose it may just be the source. Ie: I'm feathering the pedal to keep cart from engine braking but this on/off action is triggering the issue. Right? Still learning.
Yes. The throttle plate in the carb is staying open a bit while the ignition is shut off. As the engine is spinning down, fuel and air are still being fed into the engine, not burned because the spark plug isn't firing, and pushed out into the exhaust. When you step further on the pedal the ignition gets turned on again, the spark plug fires and that raw gas in the muffler gets set off by the hot exhaust. BOOM!
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO